Review: Twisted Palace (The Royals, #3) by Erin Watt


Title: Twisted Palace (The Royals, #3)
Author: Erin Watt
Publisher: Everafter Romance
Rating: 4/5 Stars
Paperback, 370 Pages
Published October 2016



Summary: Ella Harper has met every challenge that life has thrown her way. She’s tough, resilient, and willing to do whatever it takes to defend the people she loves, but the challenge of a long-lost father and a boyfriend whose life is on the line might be too much for even Ella to overcome. Reed Royal has a quick temper and even faster fists. But his tendency to meet every obstacle with violence has finally caught up with him. If he wants to save himself and the girl he loves, he’ll need to rise above his tortured past and tarnished reputation. No one believes Ella can survive the Royals. Everyone is sure Reed will destroy them all. They may be right. With everything and everyone conspiring to keep them apart, Ella and Reed must find a way to beat the law, save their families, and unravel all the secrets in their Twisted Palace.


My good friend Dana over at Dana Square got me hooked on this series, and I'm so glad that she did, because I'm enjoying these books so much that I can't put them down. There's just so much drama going on all of the time that I always want to turn the page and see what's going to happen next! So, without further ado, let's get into the review!

(The previous two books are about to get really spoiled in this summary, so skip to the next paragraph if you want to avoid that!) As the summary explains (or doesn't really explain, I guess, since all of the books have the same summary?), Ella just found out two shocking things -- one is that Brooke, Reed's potential baby mama, was murdered. The other? Her father, who she thought died in an accident a year ago, just showed back up at her door. So she definitely has a lot to deal with. And the fact that Steve wants to suddenly be the parent of the year and take her to live with him, all while Reed is going to trial for Brooke's murder even though he's innocent, definitely isn't helping matters. 

Once again, I absolutely loved this book just as much as I loved the first two books in the series. There's just so much drama that it's really hard to put these books down! I fly through them super quickly and I'm sad because I want to pace myself and really enjoy the books slowly, but I just can't stop. I read over 200 pages in one sitting and ending up finishing the book because every page was better than the one before it. This is excellent storytelling, people. It has everything that I love -- super steamy romance, drama, backstabbing, and cliffhangers that shock the living daylights out of you. If you're looking for a fast-paced series to get sucked into, then this is definitely something for you.

Something that I really enjoyed in this particular book was Reed and Ella's relationship, which gets a lot more intense and definitely a lot more ~*steamy*~. While I understand that isn't everyone's cup of tea, it's certainly mine, which made the reading experience even better for me. I pretty much spent half of my time reading this book with a grin on my face and a flushed face because Reed is definitely hot as hell and Ella is one lucky girl, let me tell you. Lots of romance going on in this book, even more so than in the previous two, so if that's something that you're into, then you're in for a good time.

Something else that I really loved in this book was the tight bond Ella had with all of the Royal boys, including Callum. Especially toward the end of the book, it's clear that Ella has really settled into her new family as a Royal and doesn't detest them as much as she did in the first book. She went from not having any family members at all to suddenly having a whole army of boys willing to defend her to the death, and it just made my heart really warm and happy to see. That point of all of their character arcs was really clear and it felt so natural, not forced or awkward for the sake of plot at all. I think it was definitely pulled off really nicely.

(MAJOR spoilers in this paragraph -- skip to the next paragraph to avoid them!) Something that I definitely wasn't expecting was the way that the book ended. Steve as the killer? Dinah not being the completely terrible person we all thought she was? Ella being able to spend her life with Reed? (Also, I know this is definitely a long shot and probably not going to happen, but I'm a hopeless romantic so I'm going to say it anyway -- I really hope that Reed proposes to Ella at some point in the next two books!!) There was just so much that happened in the last few chapters of the book that I was hooked and was so sad when it ended. But I'm glad Creepy Steve is finally out of the picture for good, and that Dinah had some semblance of a heart.

Overall, I absolutely loved Twisted Palace and I'm already crossing all of my fingers and toes hoping that my Secret Santa for my friend group back home ends up gifting me a copy of Fallen Heir. While I understand that Ella and Reed's story seems to take the backburner in the last two books, I still want to see as much of them as I can, and I love all of the other characters in the book as well, so I don't mind seeing more of them as well!



No comments

Please note that if your comment doesn’t appear right away, it’s because we have to approve it. Make sure to click the Notify Me box so you can check back once your comment has been approved! ❤️