Review: Gmorning, Gnight!: Little Pep Talks for Me & You by Lin-Manuel Miranda and Jonny Sun

Title: Gmorning, Gnight!: Little Pep Talks for Me & You
Author: Lin-Manuel Miranda & Jonny Sun
Publisher: Random House
Rating: 5/5 Stars
Hardcover, 207 Pages
Published October 2018


Summary: Before he inspired the world with Hamilton and was catapulted to international fame, Lin-Manuel Miranda was inspiring his Twitter followers with words of encouragement at the beginning and end of each day. He wrote these original sayings, aphorisms, and poetry for himself as much as for others. But as Miranda's audience grew, these messages took on a life on their own. Now, at the request of countless fans, Miranda has gathered the best of his daily greetings into a beautiful collection illustrated by acclaimed artist (and fellow Twitter favorite) Jonny Sun. Full of comfort and motivation, Gmorning, Gnight! is a touchstone for anyone looking for a lift.

When I first heard that this book was going to be a thing, I knew it was something that I wanted to read. It's been awhile since I've read any sort of motivational book, and reading one by two of my favorite people made it even more exciting. I have so many amazing things to say about this book that I'm sure I could ramble on forever -- so without further ado, let's get into my review!

As the summary explains, we all know about Lin-Manuel Miranda's famous Tweets that he posts at the beginning and the end of each day -- little words of encouragement to get you through the day and to help you sleep well at night. I've been a huge fan of them for awhile, and I'm also a huge fan of Jonny Sun, Twitter extroadinaire (you can read my review of his book here!), so I was practically over the moon with excitement when I found out that they were going to partner together for this book. Lin's Tweets and Jonny's illustrations? Sign me up! So of course I had to add it to my Christmas wish list, and I was so excited to unwrap it! 

You guys, I absolutely loved this book and I couldn't put it down. There were so many inspirational, heartwarming, and even funny messages to help me start and end my day properly. I read this entire book with a stack of tiny sticky note flags next to me, marking some Tweets that stood out to me that I know I want to read again later. The book is literally COVERED in page flags because I love them all and they all just make my heart feel so warm and happy. Seriously. This book is SO incredibly good for my mental state. I didn't even know I needed it until I opened it and started reading, and now I can't imagine myself functioning without its wisdom.

Another thing that I really loved about this book was how it was such a quick, easy read. It was 200 pages, but I managed to sit down and finish the entire thing in less than half an hour because there's only one Tweet (so, like, no more than 4 lines) per page. It was such a quick read that I was left feeling so happy and warm inside that I knew I wanted to keep reading the messages inside of it -- which is why I decided that every morning and night, I'm going to open the book up to a random page and read one of the Tweets, to keep me motivated and to help me unwind after a long day. As a busy college student who is constantly stressed (and who is also going through a rough semester away from the love of her life for five whole months), finding something so little but adorable that made me smile and kept me going is something I really appreciate and it's really important to me.

Overall, I absolutely loved Gmorning, Gnight, and I'd definitely recommend it to everyone reading this review (yes, this means you!). It was a super quick read, and it leaves your heart feeling really warm and happy inside. I'm so glad that I got this book for Christmas, and I can't wait to pick it up every single morning when I wake up and every single night before I close my eyes, reading a few lines of a heartwarming message to give me the encouragement and love I need to keep going. I sincerely can't thank Lin-Manuel and Jonny enough for this, and I'm so glad that they came together for this project. This book has definitely improved my life in a variety of ways!




No comments

Please note that if your comment doesn’t appear right away, it’s because we have to approve it. Make sure to click the Notify Me box so you can check back once your comment has been approved! ❤️