Jul 9, 2014

Review: Another Little Piece by Kate Karyus Quinn



Title: Another Little Piece
Author: Kate Karyus Quinn
Rating:  (4/5 Stars)
Hardcover, 419 Pages
Published June 2013

Summary: The spine-tingling horror of Stephen King meets an eerie mystery worthy of Sara Shepard's Pretty Little Liars series in Kate Karyus Quinn's haunting debut. On a cool autumn night, Annaliese Rose Gordon stumbled out of the woods and into a high school party. She was screaming. Drenched in blood. Then she vanished. A year later, Annaliese is found wandering down a road hundreds of miles away. She doesn't know who she is. She doesn't know how she got there. She only knows one thing: She is not the real Annaliese Rose Gordon. Now Annaliese is haunted by strange visions and broken memories. Memories of a reckless, desperate wish . . . a bloody razor . . . and the faces of other girls who disappeared. Piece by piece, Annaliese's fractured memories come together to reveal a violent, endless cycle that she will never escape—unless she can unlock the twisted secrets of her past.

Once again, a Kate Karyus Quinn novel leaves me with a pounding headache--but in the absolute best way. Again, my mind has been BLOWN. Absolutely obliterated. I'm such a squeamish person (it's so bad--I really am), and this book does have a fair amount of blood (which is my biggest fear) and gore, and a whole lot of heart-eating, so when I started this book I wasn't sure how much I would like it or if I would even be able to make it all of the way through.

But alas, I did, and I loved this book! It was equal parts creepy, horrifying, mystifying, and just all-around intriguing. The idea of this girl, Anna, making deals with all different girls and having them eat her heart so she can become them as a way to pay her back for getting a boy they liked to hook up with them--eeesh. Creepy. But definitely something I haven't read before. And when you're a person like me who reads a lot of books, it's not very common that you find a storyline you haven't read before, in some form or another.

Nope. This was totally original and I loved it so much. (The only reason it got 4 stars instead of 5 was because I was terribly squeamish and didn't like the bloody parts all that much.) It's a chilling book that I would definitely recommend to anyone looking for a good, creepy chill in a book. This book's definitely got it.

The only thing I was a bit confused about was the ending. If you haven't read the book, please SKIP ON TO THE NEXT PARAGRAPH BECAUSE THIS ONE IS GOING TO CONTAIN ****SPOILERS.**** Okay, so I don't understand who Anna became at the end. And Annaliese is...back? Huh? Didn't she turn to dust? What the heck happened to the other girls, and to Anna? I reread the last chapter several times but I wasn't totally clear on it.

All in all, this was a great and creepy book that I really enjoyed and would recommend to anyone looking for a new, interesting storyline with a chill and a thrill. Really liked it, and another round of applause goes to Kate Karyus Quinn!














No comments:

Post a Comment

We want to hear what YOU have to say! Go ahead and share your thoughts and opinions below. :-) (We promise we don't bite!)