DNF Reviews: The Body Electric, The Prey, Blackbird, & The Young Elites

Title: The Body Electric 
Author: Beth Revis
Genre: Science Fiction 
Publisher: Scripturient Books
Publication  Date: October 6th 2014 

Summary:
The future world is at peace. Ella Shepherd has dedicated her life to using her unique gift—the ability to enter people’s dreams and memories using technology developed by her mother—to help others relive their happy memories. But not all is at it seems. Ella starts seeing impossible things—images of her dead father, warnings of who she cannot trust. Her government recruits her to spy on a rebel group, using her ability to experience—and influence—the memories of traitors. But the leader of the rebels claims they used to be in love—even though Ella’s never met him before in her life. Which can only mean one thing… Someone’s altered her memory. Ella’s gift is enough to overthrow a corrupt government or crush a growing rebel group. She is the key to stopping a war she didn’t even know was happening. But if someone else has been inside Ella’s head, she cannot trust her own memories, thoughts, or feelings.
So who can she trust?
This book was more of a mad case of cover lust then actually wanting to read it. Though the idea seemed promising I couldn't help but compare this book to Elusion by Claudia Gabel and Cheryl Klam, with the chairs and escaping reality. I quickly lost interest in what I was reading, and it took me nearly five days to reach 40%, at that point I decided it was time to mark this one as a lost. 

Title: The Prey (The Hatchery #1) 
Author: Tom Isbell 
Genre: Dystopia
Source: Edelweiss
Publisher: HarperTeen
Publication Date: January 20th 2015

Summary: 
A hot debut trilogy and a riveting story of survival, courage, and romance in a future where creating a master civilization is the only thing prized, no matter the method. After the Omega (the end of the end), 16 year old guys known as LTs discover their overseers are raising them not to be soldiers (lieutenants) as promised, but to be sold as bait because of their Less Than status and hunted for sport. They escape and join forces with a girls’ camp, the Sisters, who have been imprisoned and experimented on for the "good of the Republic," by a government eager to use twins in their dark research. In their plight for freedom, these heroes must find the best in themselves to fight against the worst in their enemies.
 The idea behind this book sounded so interesting and I was really hoping that I was going to like it but I just had a hard time. By 61% of the book I still had no clue what was going on. I found it hard to follow in places. I pushed through a lot of it, hoping to get some background information on the Omega and the Republic but more then half way through the book you still had nothing, which makes it hard to visualize what was going on around them. There was also a huge problem with instalove. Hope and Book literally just meet each other and they can barley stop thinking about each other. I am giving the book the benefit of the doubt and brushing it off on the fact they never met someone their age of the opposite sex. The names were also strange, Cat, Book, June-Bug, Dozer. I wish I would have been able to push through and finish this but sadly it was on that I couldn't force myself into. 

Title: Blackbird (Blackbird Duology #1) 
Author: Anna Carey
Genre: Mystery
Publisher: HarperTeen
Publication Date: September 16th 2014 

Summary: 
A girl wakes up on the train tracks, a subway car barreling down on her. With only minutes to react, she hunches down and the train speeds over her. She doesn’t remember her name, where she is, or how she got there. She has a tattoo on the inside of her right wrist of a blackbird inside a box, letters and numbers printed just below: FNV02198. There is only one thing she knows for sure: people are trying to kill her. On the run for her life, she tries to untangle who she is and what happened to the girl she used to be. Nothing and no one are what they appear to be. But the truth is more disturbing than she ever imagined.
What threw me off most abut this book was it being told in second person. But that also made it stand out to me.  I made it through half of this book when I decided to stop, I wasn't getting use to the point of view at all and I just didn't have the time to put through with it. Maybe I'll try again when the next book is published. But for now this book remains in my DNF shelf. 

Title: The Young Elites (The Young Elites #1)
Author: Marie Lu
Genre: Fantasy
Publisher: G.P. Putnam’s Sons Books for Young Readers
Publication Date: October 7th 2014 

Summary: 
Adelina Amouteru is a survivor of the blood fever. A decade ago, the deadly illness swept through her nation. Most of the infected perished, while many of the children who survived were left with strange markings. Adelina’s black hair turned silver, her lashes went pale, and now she has only a jagged scar where her left eye once was. Her cruel father believes she is a malfetto, an abomination, ruining their family’s good name and standing in the way of their fortune. But some of the fever’s survivors are rumored to possess more than just scars—they are believed to have mysterious and powerful gifts, and though their identities remain secret, they have come to be called the Young Elites. Teren Santoro works for the king. As Leader of the Inquisition Axis, it is his job to seek out the Young Elites, to destroy them before they destroy the nation. He believes the Young Elites to be dangerous and vengeful, but it’s Teren who may possess the darkest secret of all. Enzo Valenciano is a member of the Dagger Society. This secret sect of Young Elites seeks out others like them before the Inquisition Axis can. But when the Daggers find Adelina, they discover someone with powers like they’ve never seen. Adelina wants to believe Enzo is on her side, and that Teren is the true enemy. But the lives of these three will collide in unexpected ways, as each fights a very different and personal battle. But of one thing they are all certain: Adelina has abilities that shouldn’t belong in this world. A vengeful blackness in her heart. And a desire to destroy all who dare to cross her.
It pained me when I DNFed this book. I am such a big fan of Marie Lu and to not enjoy one of her books really sucks. But, I am going to give this book another chance closer to book #2 because maybe I'll like it better then. I found it a bit slow in the beginning and a bit confusing in some parts. But it was an interesting idea and I definitely need to try it again. 


1 comment

  1. I haven't read Elusion so I can't say about similarities, but I'm sorry to hear you didn't enjoy The Body Electric because I loved it, it felt like classic science fiction to me!

    ReplyDelete

Please note that if your comment doesn’t appear right away, it’s because we have to approve it. Make sure to click the Notify Me box so you can check back once your comment has been approved! ❤️