Review: The Book of Ivy by Amy Engel

Title: The Book of Ivy (The Book of Ivy #1)
Author: Amy Engel
Genre: Dystopia 
Publisher: Entangled: Teen
Publication Date: November 11th 2014 
Add it to Goodreads / Order it on Amazon

Summary: 
After a brutal nuclear war, the United States was left decimated. A small group of survivors eventually banded together, but only after more conflict over which family would govern the new nation. The Westfalls lost. Fifty years later, peace and control are maintained by marrying the daughters of the losing side to the sons of the winning group in a yearly ritual. This year, it is my turn. My name is Ivy Westfall, and my mission is simple: to kill the president’s son—my soon-to-be husband—and restore the Westfall family to power. But Bishop Lattimer is either a very skilled actor or he’s not the cruel, heartless boy my family warned me to expect. He might even be the one person in this world who truly understands me. But there is no escape from my fate. I am the only one who can restore the Westfall legacy. Because Bishop must die. And I must be the one to kill him…
The Book of Ivy was everything I was hoping it to be and more. I mentioned to my parents that I wanted this book but I didn't expect them to remember and give it to me for Christmas. So, while my siblings where opening their presents I was diving into this dystopian world. 

I struggled in the first few chapters because it was slow, which was necessary for the world building. But it quickly picked up. Amy created a dystopian world that was easy to picture as well as an amazing set of characters. The Book of Ivy wasn't you typical dystopian though. It was different, it wasn't a world that is so built up with new technology and evil dictators, but a world like our eerily own. 

The characters were exceptionally well done. I loved seeing the growth of the characters from the beginning of the novel to the end. Ivy started out the book as a girl on a mission and all through out it we can see that she begins to question her orders and whether doing what she told is the best choice or not. Bishop was perfect. He is my new book boyfriend. He isn't actually perfect, he has his faults of course. Amy created characters that I was able to fall in love with as I read. 

The romance in this book was amazing. I haven't read a book with a slow burn romance in it in a long time. The slow burn with the romance worked well with the story, considering Ivy went into their marriage with the plans on killing him. She never planned on falling in love with Bishop. 0

The Book of Ivy is one of my favorite reads of 2014. (This review was written before New Years!) That is hurts my heart that I have to wait a year for the next book in the series. The cliff hanger was painful, and left me almost in tears for both Ivy and Bishop. 


Rating:

12 comments

  1. This one was one of my favorite reads of 2014 also! I almost didn't pick it up but then I saw it on a ton of top books of 2014 lists and I decided to give it a try, I'm glad I didn't miss this one! I LOVED Ivy and Bishop :)

    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooh, a 5 stars?? And a dystopian that is not typical?? I feel like I really NEED to get my hands on this one!
    Great review Amber!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I really liked this one. I hope you enjoy it!

      Delete
  3. I must read this book! You and Rachel love it so now I have to read it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YESSS! You must and that we can all gush about Bishop!!

      Delete
  4. I have this book on my bookshelf but I don't want to read it if the next book doesn't come out until November!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay!! THIS BOOK IS EPIC. I loved the slow-burn romance. So many times I was like "Just kiss already!!" I loved the characters and their growth. I hate the father and sister though, they've gotta go! ;) Lovely review, Amber <33

    Rachel @ A Perfection Called Books

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, I was so upset with her sister and dad. Something better happen to them in the next book!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, I was so upset with her sister and dad. Something better happen to them in the next book!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I havent read this book and will consider it now. It seems to be a bit of a thing at the moment to see so many books, tv series, movies about end of days and it really annoys ne when they make the survivors dumber thn a bag of hammers. Sure we dont want them to all be clever dicks and excell at everything but do they all have to be so stoopid? I loved your review and will pop into my local library and get a copy out ty :)

    ReplyDelete

Please note that if your comment doesn’t appear right away, it’s because we have to approve it. Make sure to click the Notify Me box so you can check back once your comment has been approved! ❤️