Review: The Heir Affair (Royal We, #2) by Heather Cocks & Jessica Morgan

Title: The Heir Affair (Royal We, #2)
Authors: Heather Cocks & Jessica Morgan
Publisher: Grand Central Publishing
Rating: 5/5 Stars
Hardcover, 464 Pages
Published July 2020


Summary: Making it up the aisle was the easy part: After marrying the heir to the throne, Rebecca “Bex” Porter must survive her own scandals as she adjusts to life in the glamorous British royal family, in this “highly anticipated” follow-up to The Royal We, the “fun and dishy” bestseller and NYT Summer Reading List pick inspired by Will and Kate’s romance (People). After a scandalous secret turns their fairy-tale wedding into a nightmare, Rebecca “Bex” Porter and her husband Prince Nicholas are in self-imposed exile. The public is angry. The Queen is even angrier. And the press is salivating. Cutting themselves off from friends and family, and escaping the world’s judgmental eyes, feels like the best way to protect their fragile, all-consuming romance. But when a crisis forces the new Duke and Duchess back to London, the Band-Aid they’d placed over their problems starts to peel at the edges. Now, as old family secrets and new ones threaten to derail her new royal life, Bex has to face the emotional wreckage she and Nick left behind: with the Queen, with the world, and with Nick’s brother Freddie, whose sins may not be so easily forgotten — nor forgiven.

It has been an entire *FIVE YEARS* since I read THE ROYAL WE, so once I found out that there was finally going to be a second book, I preordered it immediately. And I was practically camped out by my mailbox waiting for the book to arrive. And then when it did, I dove into it immediately. And let me just say -- this was one of the best books I've read in a long time, right up there with THE ROYAL WE. So without further ado, let's get into my review!

As the summary explains, this story picks up after the royal wedding of Bex and Nick (meant to be fictional accounts of Kate and Will), when a story (which I won't spoil for you!) was about to break that could possibly ruin their marriage AND the public's perception of them. THE ROYAL WE leaves off on a massive cliffhanger about whether or not the story is leaked, and the book picks up after the decision is made -- which I won't tell you! Through time, though, they find themselves being dragged into even more scandals and secrets, all while trying to balance their personal and private lives. What ensues is a swoon-worthy romance, some shocking plot twists, and lots of hilarious moments as Bex and Nick struggle to navigate this new chapter of their lives.

The five-year gap between me reading this book and reading THE ROYAL WE didn't matter as all as soon as I got right into the book. I'll admit, I read the last chapter of THE ROYAL WE the night before starting THE HEIR AFFAIR, and that was pretty much the only refresher I needed. I tore through this entire book in under a week because it was just so good and I wanted to know what was going to happen next at any given moment. Heather and Jessica are excellent at weaving together a perfect story that keeps the reader on the edge of their seat, and this 400+ page story flew by because I kept wanting to know what was going to happen next. I spent entire afternoons sitting down with the story until suddenly I looked outside and the sun was down and it was almost midnight, because I was just that captivated. If you're a fan of royalty stories, romances, comedy, or even just the real Will and Kate, I absolutely recommend picking this one up! I absolutely swooned my way through Nick and Bex's entire story, and through all of the chaos that surrounds them, it's clear that their love is stronger than any other force that could come their way. 

As for plot twists -- without spoiling anything, I will say that there were definitely of twists that I wasn't expecting, some of which actually made me gasp out loud and immediately need to report to my boyfriend about them! All I'll say is that if you think you know the royal family...there's definitely some stuff that you're not expecting. Secrets come to life in ways that completely change the course of the narrative. And of course, they are all expertly written.

Something else that I really loved about this book was the banter between the characters. There were several times where I was reading this book and actually laughed out loud and my boyfriend looked over and asked me what I thought was so funny. Bex's sense of humor (as well as Nick's and Freddie's and all of their friends) really aligns with mine so all of the jokes were hilarious and made for a great read that I couldn't put down. The humor sounds a lot like Heather and Jessica's Tweets, so it's clear to see that their own personalities were able to shine through in the book for all of its readers to enjoy.

Overall, I absolutely loved reading THE HEIR AFFAIR and I would absolutely recommend this book and the previous book in the duology for anyone looking for a great story with so many twists and turns and shocking plot twists that will keep you on the edge of your seat. Sprinkle in a healthy dose of humor and a swoon-worthy love story, and you'll be on cloud nine in no time! 

And if you want to read my review of the first book of the duology, THE ROYAL WE, you can check that out here!




 

No comments

Please note that if your comment doesn’t appear right away, it’s because we have to approve it. Make sure to click the Notify Me box so you can check back once your comment has been approved! ❤️