ARC Review: Pieces of Olivia by Melissa West

Title: Pieces of Oliva (Charleston Haven #1)
Author: Melissa West
Genre: New Adult, Contemporary, Romance
Format: eBook
Publisher: Penguin/InterMix Books
Release Date: July 15, 2014

*I received an ARC ebook copy of Pieces of Olivia By Melissa Wesr  via Netgalley and the publisher in return for an honest review*

Summary:
Olivia Warren used to be a normal girl with a bright future. 
But on one fated night, everything changed.

Hiding the scars of her past up her sleeves, Olivia transfers her enrollment from Columbia University to The College of Charleston, determined to pursue her own dreams for the first time in her life.

She intends to allow herself a bit of alone time to heal... that is, until she meets Preston.

Preston is best friends with her roommate, completely hot, and off-limits. But the chemistry between them is instantaneous—and as the pair begins to spend more time with one another, their feelings for each other build into something undeniable, something powerful enough to heal Olivia’s deepest scars.

Olivia tries to put her own past behind her and trust Preston, but she discovers that his past might be more present than she ever bargained for…



~~~

I won't lie. Going into this book I was nervous. I don't read contemporary fiction much. Actually I never do. I usual need a book with a fantasy or sci-fi aspect to keep my interest. But Pieces of Olivia was different. I was hooked with in the first few chapters, and by hooked I mean: I abandoned all my responsibilities to read.

Olivia, how my heart broke for her when she would talk about the night of the party, the one where she ended up scared and broken. The end of high school the start of college is suppose to be a good time, not one filled with nightmares and lost. But when she enrolls at Charleston to restart her life she never planned on meeting Preston. Olivia's roommate, Kara's best friend. 

Preston isn't the type of person so have a long lasting relationship. He has flings that last for a bit and then end. Kara gets stuck being the between girl, stuck listening to these girls complain about Preston and she hates it. 

When Olivia asks why Preston doesn't do the relationship thing she receives the reply from Kara that is isn't her story to tell. When she asks Preston, he tells her the same thing: It isn't his story. So that leaves you wondering. Who story is it then? 

All through out the book there was always this strange tension between Kara and Preston that I was dying to know, and then bam! You find out and your heart splits open and you look for your box of tissues. I could only imagine what ran through Olivia's head. 

"I can't breathe when you're around. I can't think. I can't control my mind and forget my body. I am useless and weak and I hate this version of myself. Yet... I have never wanted anyone like I want you." 

The book takes place over a couple of months, from the start of their first semester and into part of their second semester. So the romance wasn't fast, it was set overtime and I loved that. I don't like books where the Main Characters rush into a relationship head first and saying "I love you." It is just not real like that. Plus, Olivia wanted him and slowly fell for him through out the book.

I really adored Preston and Olivia's relationship. He never pushed her to tell about her past, and when you have a dark past you don't want someone pushing for you to tell it. That is just how it is.  But Olivia wasn't the only one in the book with a story, and Preston's reasoning for not dating long term bought tears to my eyes.  

Now Rose, I loved her. Her and Olivia's relationship wasn't one of a patient and a doctor, it was like two friends. At first when Rose was talking about ghost I thought the woman was crazy, but then as Melissa introduced her tp you began to see that she was a good thing for Olivia to have. 

 Now, I must wait until December of Miles of Kara by Melissa West, which as the title says is about Kara. *sighs* Melissa West also said that the cover for the second book will be even better then the first. *even bigger sigh* But I still have to wait! 

RATING: ★★★★





No comments

Please note that if your comment doesn’t appear right away, it’s because we have to approve it. Make sure to click the Notify Me box so you can check back once your comment has been approved! ❤️