Review: Fire & Flood by Victoria Scott

Title: Fire & Flood (Fire & Flood #1)
Author: Victoria Scott
Genre: Science Fiction, Adventure, Fantasy
Number of Pages: 305
Publisher: Scholastic Press
Published: February 25, 2014

Summary:
Time is slipping away.... 

Tella Holloway is losing it. Her brother is sick, and when a dozen doctors can't determine what's wrong, her parents decide to move to Montana for the fresh air. She's lost her friends, her parents are driving her crazy, her brother is dying—and she's helpless to change anything.

Until she receives mysterious instructions on how to become a Contender in the Brimstone Bleed. It's an epic race across jungle, desert, ocean, and mountain that could win her the prize she desperately desires: the Cure for her brother's illness. But all the Contenders are after the Cure for people they love, and there's no guarantee that Tella (or any of them) will survive the race.

The jungle is terrifying, the clock is ticking, and Tella knows she can't trust the allies she makes. And one big question emerges: Why have so many fallen sick in the first place?

Victoria Scott's breathtaking novel grabs readers by the throat and doesn't let go.


~~~



As the GIF above says, I have all these feels that I didn't have when I started reading. Including millions of unanswered questions, and an almost eight month wait to get the answers. Oh boy. 

Did Fire & Flood remind me of The Hunger Games? Yes. There were some things I found similar, but a majority of it wasn't even remotely the same. Which made me happy because I wanted to love this book and guess what!? I do! (I have read enough reviews to see that people are torn) There are similar themes and settings, but every book has to start somewhere and this is totally different. 

I have two brothers, one seven and another fifteen. I would easily give my life for either of them. (No matter how much I say I hate them.)  I can see Tella's determination to get through The Brimstone Bleed successfully. Though she questions herself throughout, or makes stupid decisions. But she is sixteen, sixteen year olds can make stupid decisions. 

The Pandora's reminded me of Pokemon. Only these were animals with genetically altered abilities. Some that were really cute, then some that are really scary. Madox, if he was real I would probably kidnap that poor thing because he was so cute. I worried about him more then the main characters sometimes. 

As usual I fell in love with the boy who the main character is lusting after. This time his name is Guy, we are totally going to get married. You know if he was real and all. Guy was very mysterious and I feel we learned the most about him in the last 1/4 of the book. 

I don't have much to say about this book. Have you ever loved something so much you have no words for it? Well that is me right now. 


RATING: ★★★★★













4 comments

  1. I loved Guy and would want him on my team in the Brimstone Bleed! I also would very much steal Madox and not even feel guilty at all for doing so. I truly enjoyed Fire and Flood especially when the action really started picking up in the second half. I can't believe we have to wait so long for the next book.

    Kay @ It's a Book Life

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. February seems so far away now! I really loved this book though. It is the first five star one I have read in a while :)

      Delete
  2. I am so glad you loved this book! And now the wait begins to see what will happen next!!

    ReplyDelete

Please note that if your comment doesn’t appear right away, it’s because we have to approve it. Make sure to click the Notify Me box so you can check back once your comment has been approved! ❤️