Review: Frostfire by Amanda Hocking

Title: Frostfire (Kanin Chronicles #1)
Author: Amanda Hocking
Genre: Paranormal
Publisher: St. Martin's Griffin
Publication Date: January 6th 2015 
Add it to Goodreads / Buy it on Amazon

Summary: 
Bryn Aven is an outcast among the Kanin, the most powerful of the troll tribes. Set apart by her heritage and her past, Bryn is a tracker who's determined to become a respected part of her world. She has just one goal: become a member of the elite King’s Guard to protect the royal family. She's not going to let anything stand in her way, not even a forbidden romance with her boss Ridley Dresden. But all her plans for the future are put on hold when Konstantin– a fallen hero she once loved – begins kidnapping changelings. Bryn is sent in to help stop him, but will she lose her heart in the process?

Review 


I really enjoyed Amanda's Trylle trilogy (Which I read a while ago) and was really excited when I learned the news of a spin off series being published. I liked Frostbite so much better though, it was easy to fall back into the world that Amanda had created. Even if you haven't gotten around to reading the Trylle trilogy you will have no problem reading Frostfire (Though I do recommend it). Plus these books have really beautiful covers. 

Bryn wants to fit it in, but being half Kanin and half Skojare she finds it hard. She's made the best of her situation though, she worked harder then everyone else in school, and bought herself up to one of the best trackers in the Kanin tribe. Four years prior to Bryn's tracking career her father was attacked by Konstantin, someone who Bryn had idolized. Konstantin managed to escape, now leaving him the most wanted man in Kanin. Years later when Bryn is out on a mission to bring back a changeling, she never expected to cross paths with Konstantin.

I loved Bryn, she is incredibly strong. She lives in a tribe where she stands out with her pale skin, blue eyes and blond hair, and is constantly judged and looked down upon because of it. Where most people with fade away to avoid the spot light Bryn only worked harder to become the tracker she is, and to reach her goal of being an Hogdragen. Bryn is dedicated to her work, even when she knows it is dangerous she wants to be out there doing it. At the same time though she is struggling with her feelings towards Konstatin, does she trust him? Is he really only a pawn in this all? I loved the small struggles that Hocking out her through. Being in a relationship, her loyalty towards the people she loves. 

I expected more romance then we really got, I am a little disappointed about that. Though I am happy to see there is no love triangle yet, which I really hope she stays away from this time around. Ridley is Bryn's boss, which makes him off limits to her, and he has a girlfriend (Yup.) Slowly over time though Bryn has come to realize that her feelings aren't just friendly towards him, she craves something more. But Bryn also doesn't like commitment. But underneath it all there is a connection between them that I hope will come out in the next two books in the series. (I also have a big crush on Ridley, so I want to see him and Bryn together very badly!) 

Hocking has a talent for world building. She created the world of Trylle, and now using a similar world created the Kanin who is another tribe. I did feel that there were a few things missing, I hope they do get filled in as the series goes on. 

The ended was a cliff hanger, and left me with no idea where the next book is going to take us. Which is the same thing that happened with the Trylle trilogy. My favorite part about this series is that all the books will be published in 2015 so I won't have to wait years to know how it will all end. Overall, I am really looking forward to book two! 


Rating:




8 comments

  1. YES, nailed it<3 I agree with your points, I thought this series has a lot of potential but it was quite slow you know? I do like the overall concept though. I'm intrigued enough to see what happens next in the trilogy, fantastic review :) xBenish | Feminist Reflections

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooohh I have been seeing this book around lately, I didn't know it was a spin off so I stopped reading the review so I'm not spoiled :)

    I love the cover though <3

    Thanks for the heads up :)

    Jumana @ http://booksbyj.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm really glad to hear you enjoyed this one so much, and no love triangle sounds good!
    I will wait till the next book is out before starting this one, cliffhangers aren't nice!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really wanted to read this, but then I saw it was a spin off. Would I have to read the Tryelle trilogy to understand what's going on in this book?

    Erin @ The Hardcover Lover

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have read the trylle triology, Gonna start this one now. So which one is actually better?

    Btw amazing review.

    ReplyDelete

Please note that if your comment doesn’t appear right away, it’s because we have to approve it. Make sure to click the Notify Me box so you can check back once your comment has been approved! ❤️