The College Diaries #1: Amber


Well, we promised to be introducing new features to The Book Bratz and this is one of them. The College Diaries is for us to talk about our experiences in college so far. Emily, Jessica and I all attend different colleges. Jessica a private school, Emily a SUNY (State University of New York) school and I attend a community college for the next year or two of my life. This week will be the first of many posts in this wonderful new feature and experience in our lives.

 Currently I am struggling to like my college. I attend Suffolk County Community College of SCCC for short. It's a forty minute drive, a new environment and I'm lonely (I'm shy and have a hard time making friends.) My dream school had been too expensive so I choose the lesser of the option, which there is nothing wrong with. My classes range from Mythology, to my basic math and English and intro to Psych. It's a great mix and the times are wonderful (or not. Depends on my mood) my latest class is from 6pm to 9pm on Thursday's but it is intro to Psych and it is relatively interesting. My classes are 12:30 to 4:45 on Monday and Wednesdays which isn't horrible. I have my Tuesdays and Fridays free because of this, but next semester I don't think I am going to arrange my schedule the same. But next semester I will also be taking classes on a different campus closer to my house. (SCC has three campuses.) 


Granted there are some things I like there is also many that I dislike and I don't want this post to be about bashing my school, but it is called the College Diaries for a reason. I hate parking at this school. I have to leave my house and hour and a half early to find decent parking in the lots near my buildings. On Wednesdays it is pretty easy to find parking but on Monday and Thursday it is pretty much a fight to get a parking spot. I'm actually typing this post on my phone in the car because I am an hour early to class. Another problem is my professors. Don't get me wrong, they are great people but the teaching style is very different then I expected and use too. It's going to be one of those things that will take me a long time to get use too.  I am also not a fan of all the freedom we have and Im sure that will surprise some people. Who doesn't like freedom? But I'm so use to structure from 13 years of school that these leaves me puzzled. You just get up and leave if you wish? You just don't show up to class? What!? 



Right now I'm a little down in the dumps with college. I have a lot going on outside of school, my mom is having severe cardiac problems, I work (which a lot of college students do), and I'm struggling with problems with in myself. But I am hopeful that it is going to get easier for me as time goes on. 

Well, welcome to the first post in our College Diaries and we hope you follow us along on our college journey because this seems like it is going to be a wild ride for all of us! 



1 comment

  1. I do hope you'll have a good college experience even if it's started a bit unlike what you expected, Amber! And sending good thoughts for your mum's health and your juggling work & college!

    ReplyDelete

Please note that if your comment doesn’t appear right away, it’s because we have to approve it. Make sure to click the Notify Me box so you can check back once your comment has been approved! ❤️