2021 Debut Author Interview: Kristy Boyce!

In 2019, we made it our goal is to work with as many debut authors as possible and to spread the word about their debut novels. It was such a success last year that we decided to continue the fun for years to come! Follow us this year as we pick the minds of the 2021 debuts and chat with them about their writing process and what it's like to be a new author. Also stay tuned for news of giveaways, Twitter chats, and more!

At the end of 2020, we Tweeted about wanting to discover more debut authors and their books. We ended up finding Kristy Boyce and her novel HOT BRITISH BOYFRIEND, and we have been interested in it ever since! We are so excited to have Kristy on the blog today to answer some of our questions! 



Kristy Boyce lives in Columbus, OH and teaches psychology as a senior lecturer at The Ohio State University. When she’s not spending time with her husband and son, she’s usually writing, reading, putting together fairy gardens, or watching happy reality TV (The Great British Bake-Off and So You Think You Can Dance are perennial favorites). Kristy is the social media coordinator for Central and Southern Ohio SCBWI.

Keep up with Kristy: Website / Twitter / Instagram / Goodreads


The Book Bratz: First of all, congratulations! How does it feel to be a debut author?

Kristy: It feels absolutely wonderful! Being a debut has brought so much joy to my life during what is otherwise an incredibly difficult time due to COVID. Of course there is stress too, but I’ve loved every step of this process. It’s such a privilege.

The Book Bratz: In your opinion, what's the best part of the writing process? What's the hardest?

Kristy: Probably the best part of the writing process is when I’m completely immersed in a new manuscript and then an idea for a scene, complete with dialogue, pops into my head. I’ll run into my office and start scribbling the idea as quickly as I can! Unfortunately, this usually happens around 1am when I should be sleeping, but it’s still so fun! The hardest part of writing is whichever part I’m doing at that moment! ;) Seriously though, it can be really hard when I hit a creative wall and I don’t know where to go with the plot or how to fix a plot hole without messing everything else up.


The Book Bratz: Where did you get the idea for HOT BRITISH BOYFRIEND?

Kristy: The idea of writing a study abroad book about a girl who is dating someone she can’t share her true self with came from my psychology course on “The Self.” I was inspired to set it in England because my best friend has taught in a study abroad program at a British manor. Once I knew the setting, a lot of the plot started to come together. 

The Book Bratz: Who was your favorite character to write? Who was the most difficult?

Kristy: This is hard because I loved writing them all! Ellie was so fun to write because she can be such a happy, effervescent person and I liked seeing the world through her rose-colored glasses. Huan and Frank were so much fun, and of course I loved writing Dev. If I’m being honest, I ended up cutting the character that was hardest—a “mean girl” type who I could never really nail. I don’t miss her. ;)


The Book Bratz: Have you visited England before, or specifically for researching this book? What was it like?

Kristy: I’ve been to England several times, most recently in 2019 to visit the manor that inspired Emberton Manor in the book. I had the most amazing time on that trip. I was able to live in the manor and it really felt like I had been transported inside HOT BRITISH BOYFRIEND! I kept thinking, “This is Ellie’s social psych classroom!” and “This is the bench where she and Dev talk about the trip!” I was in a state of awe the entire time. I’m already planning to go back as soon as it’s safe. 


The Book Bratz: What do you hope that readers will take away from HOT BRITISH BOYFRIEND? 

Kristy: My simplest hope is that they come away smiling and happy. We could all use more joy in our lives right now. 


The Book Bratz:  Do you plan on returning to the world of HOT BRITISH BOYFRIEND in the future, or do you have any other projects in mind? Can you tell us anything about them?

Kristy: I would love to return to this world! I have an idea for a companion novel following Sage—Ellie’s friend and roommate—after she graduates from high school. I’ve also finished another stand-alone YA contemporary romance that I call my “ballet book” and I’m excited to share that with others. 


Title: Hot British Boyfriend
Author: Kristy Boyce
Publisher: HarperTeen
Publication Date: February 9th, 2021

Summary: After a horrifying public rejection by her crush, Ellie Nichols does what any girl would do: she flees the country. To be more precise, she joins her high school’s study abroad trip to England. While most of her classmates are there to take honors courses and pad their college applications, Ellie is on a quest to rebuild her reputation and self-confidence. And nothing is more of a confidence booster than getting a hot British boyfriend. When Ellie meets Will, a gorgeous and charming Brit, she vows to avoid making the same mistakes as she did with the last guy she liked. Which is why she strikes up a bargain with Dev, an overachieving classmate who she’s never clicked with, but who does seem to know a lot about the things Will is interested in—if he helps her win over her crush, then she’ll help him win over his. But even as Ellie embarks on a whirlwind romance, one that takes her on adventures to some of England’s most beautiful places, she still needs to figure out if this is actually the answer to all her problems…and whether the perfect boyfriend is actually the perfect boy for her.


We're also hosting a giveaway with a finished copy of HOT BRITISH BOYFRIEND on our Twitter account, which you can find here

Thank you so much to Kristy for stopping by and answering our questions! We are super excited about HOT BRITISH BOYFRIEND and can't wait for it to be out in the world on February 9th


Celebrate So Excited GIF by Hey Violet



No comments

Please note that if your comment doesn’t appear right away, it’s because we have to approve it. Make sure to click the Notify Me box so you can check back once your comment has been approved! ❤️