ARC Review: Aquicorn Cove by Katie O'Neill


Title: Aquicorn Cove
Author: Katie O'Neill
Publisher: Oni Press
Rating: 4/5 Stars
Hardcover, 96 Pages
Published October 2018



Summary: When Lana and her father return to their seaside hometown to help clear the debris of a storm, the last thing she expects is to discover a colony of Aquicorns—magical seahorse-like residents of the coral reef. As she explores the damaged town and the fabled undersea palace, Lana learns that while she cannot always count on adults to be the guardians she needs, she herself is capable of finding the strength to protect both the ocean, and her own happiness.


I received an advanced copy of this book from Margot Wood at Oni Press, and I was super excited when I did, because not only do I look up to Margot and see her as the inspiration for everything I want my future career to be, but also because I've been looking to get into graphic novels. So far, both of the suggestions she's sent me have been an absolute hit! So without further ado, let's get into my review!

As the summary explains, when Lana goes to visit her Auntie Mae in their coastal village, she thinks she's just there for a cleanup effort and to catch up with her family. But what she doesn't know is that there are more secrets that lay beneath the shore, and secrets that Auntie Mae is keeping, and things definitely don't turn out the way that she expects her visit to. 

I really loved this book -- the story was so freaking adorable and kept me smiling the entire time I read it! The entire thing was so adorable and cutesy, but there were also some heartbreaking and really intense scenes as well, which kept the story moving and kept me flipping through the pages. The book wasn't very long, either, so I zipped through it so quickly that I even found myself super disappointed when it was over. All in all, this book took me about 40 minutes to read -- and 15 of those minutes were spent sending Snapchats of the beautiful colors and pictures to my boyfriend and to Emily and Amber!

Something else that I really enjoyed about this book was the colors used. They were so beautiful and vibrant, and they really aided the illustrations in making the story happy and cute and adorable, as well as full of tons of emotion! There were a lot of scenes without dialogue in this book, but I didn't even mind because I just took that time to sit down and flip through the pictures, studying and appreciating them all. Those bright-yet-soft colors used throughout the story (especially under the sea) were definitely on brand for me, and I was delighted to see them.

Overall, I really loved reading Aquicorn Cove -- I wish it had been longer, because it was a super fast read! Partially because the book isn't that big, but also because I immediately fell in love with it, and thus promptly devoured it. I'm so glad that Margot started recommending me adorable contemporary, cute, and romantic graphic novels, because it's safe to say that I'm definitely developing a taste for them! If you're looking for a cute story to get you into graphic novels, look no further than Aquicorn Cove, because this book is guaranteed to delight you.



No comments

Please note that if your comment doesn’t appear right away, it’s because we have to approve it. Make sure to click the Notify Me box so you can check back once your comment has been approved! ❤️