ARC Review: Match Me If You Can by Tiana Smith


Title: Match Me If You Can
Author: Tiana Smith
Publisher: Swoon Reads
Rating: 3/5 Stars
Hardcover, 288 Pages
Publication Date: January 8th, 2019

Summary: Mia's best friend Robyn is known for her matchmaking skills, which is perfect, because homecoming is just around the corner. But Robyn refuses to set Mia up with the guy of her dreams, which forces Mia to take matters into her own hands. She uses Robyn's matchmaking service to make sure popular Vince Demetrius falls for her. Vince asks her out, but Mia doesn't count on Logan, the persistent school newspaper photographer who seems to like her out of the blue. Now she has to choose between Vince - the guy she knows is right for her - and Logan, who insists that she give him a chance. And she needs to make sure Robyn doesn't find out that Mia's been matchmaking behind her back. Mia has two weeks before homecoming. Can she fix the mess she made or will she have to kiss her perfect match goodbye forever?

I received an ARC of Match Me If You Can by Tiana herself because she was super kind and heard that we were interested in featuring 2019 debut authors. I'm so glad that I got a chance to read this book, because it was so adorable and heartwarming and it was just what I needed in the midst of studying for exams. So without further ado, let's get into the review!

As the summary explains, Mia has a massive crush on her school's star athlete, Vince. She tries to convince her best friend, Robyn, to hook them up through her super-successful matchmaking business. The only problem? Robyn refuses to do so, because she doesn't think they'll be a good match. So Mia goes behind her back and hacks into Robyn's email to set up the match herself, and once that happens, Mia thinks she's about to have the best relationship of her life. But she quickly learns that Robyn has a method for her madness, because Vince isn't turning out to be the perfect boyfriend that Mia has been dreaming of all along. Instead, there's another guy in the picture, Logan...someone that Mia never in a million years ever saw herself liking, let alone getting along with. 

You guys, this book was so freaking adorable that I found myself smiling almost the entire way through. There were so many cute, swoon-worthy moments, as well as some tense friendship battles, and even a shocking food fight or two. This book was less than 300 pages and I tore through it so quickly because I couldn't put it down and kept wanting to know what was going to happen next, as the drama kept unfolding!

My favorite character in this book was definitely Logan. Not only was he sarcastic and funny and definitely very attractive, but it was clear how he had a heart of gold and how much he liked Mia, even if it took her awhile to realize it at first. At times, I wanted to shake Mia and show her how amazing and cute and swoon-worthy he was being, because she was too oblivious to realize it at the time. Robyn definitely was right in thinking that Logan was a good match for Mia, because he was so freaking adorable that I couldn't take it.

As for what I wasn't crazy about with this book, it's a bit tricky to explain, and I want to be clear that this is just my perspective on the entire thing, and I am in no way saying that I am the peak of literary criticism -- my thoughts are entirely my own, and that is just how I felt. I found it hard to connect with Mia as a character, because she felt kind of immature to me, in a way that I found it really hard to connect to. Maybe just because I've read that type of story so many times, but I was a little frustrated during the times where I read Mia outright saying that she noticed Logan and felt butterflies but thought it was probably nothing. I wanted to nudge her and be like girl, it's something!! Enjoy it!! ...But yeah. I had some struggles with reading this book at times because the speaker's voice felt a little immature to me, not so much in age, but just the way she talked and with the way she was describing the story. But eventually I grew to get used to it and it wasn't tripping me up as much as I was reading.

Overall, I enjoyed reading Match Me If You Can. It was an adorable book that made my heart feel so warm and fuzzy, and it also was less than 300 pages, so it's a really quick read! If you're looking for some 2019 debut authors to watch, I definitely think that Tiana Smith is one of them. This book is definitely one that I'll be recommending to my romance-loving friends!

Be on the lookout for our exclusive interview with Tiana Smith, coming soon!




No comments

Please note that if your comment doesn’t appear right away, it’s because we have to approve it. Make sure to click the Notify Me box so you can check back once your comment has been approved! ❤️