Review: The Wedding Date by Jasmine Guillory

Title: The Wedding Date
Author: Jasmine Guillory
Publisher: Berkley
Rating: 4/5 Stars
Paperback, 310 Pages
Published January 2018


Summary: Agreeing to go to a wedding with a guy she gets stuck with in an elevator is something Alexa Monroe wouldn't normally do. But there's something about Drew Nichols that's too hard to resist. On the eve of his ex's wedding festivities, Drew is minus a plus one. Until a power outage strands him with the perfect candidate for a fake girlfriend...After Alexa and Drew have more fun than they ever thought possible, Drew has to fly back to Los Angeles and his job as a pediatric surgeon, and Alexa heads home to Berkeley, where she's the mayor's chief of staff. Too bad they can't stop thinking about the other... They're just two high-powered professionals on a collision course toward the long distance dating disaster of the century--or closing the gap between what they think they need and what they truly want...


When I first found out that Jasmine Guillory was doing a signing of this book at BookExpo this year, I knew that I wanted to hop on that line. (And I was one of the first people there!) I'm a total sucker for a good love story, and it's about a wedding, too?! Sign me up. This book has me written all over it, that's for sure!

As the summary explains, Drew runs into Alexa in a hotel elevator when it gets stuck one night, and they immediately hit it off as friends (and it doesn't hurt that they're both super attractive, too). So when Drew asks Alexa to be his date for his ex's wedding that weekend because his previous date hung him out to dry, Alexa jumps on the chance to say yes, partially out of pity and partially out of attraction. But what neither of them are expecting are to start falling for each other -- and then, before they know it, they're in this long distance relationship that's super adorable and also super sexy, but there's one issue other than distance: Drew doesn't do girlfriends, and Alexa knows that, so while enjoying their time together, she can't stop worrying about the expiration date on the whole thing.

I really enjoyed reading this book -- it made me swoon and laugh and cringe at all of the right moments. I've also never really read "adult" books -- the main characters here are in their thirties -- so I wasn't sure what to expect at first, or if I was even going to like it. (All of the adult books I've read in the past sort of felt like a flop to me, which is why I was super nervous about this one.) But that ended up not being a problem at all, because I couldn't put this book down! I wanted to neglect all of my homework and daily responsibilities so I could tear through this one. And it was also a super easy read to get to, since it was only about 300 pages -- but that's also partly disappointing as well, because I wanted more!!

Drew and Alexa's chemistry is so obvious, and that's why I spent half of this book blushing and smiling and unable to put the story down. When they were together, even before they realized their attraction for one another, it was so obviously there, and it had me swooning the whole time. And once they got together...wow. All I'm going to say about that is to make sure you don't read this book in public, because there will be way too much blushing going on! (There will be a lot. A lot of blushing.)

My favorite character in this story was definitely Alexa, because she was such a headstrong and badass woman. Even when she fell hard for Drew, she never let herself become putty in his hand that did whatever he wanted, whenever he wanted her too. She had her own super successful job, her own projects, and her own life outside of her relationship with Drew, which was something that I really appreciated, because in most love stories I've read, once the main character fell in love with her partner, she sort of drops everything for him, so I'm glad that Alexa definitely didn't do that.

The only thing I wasn't super crazy about in this book was the fact that it was written in third person, because it made things kind of confusing at times. Not only am I not a huge fan of third person in general, but the perspective of the story often switched off in the middle of the chapter, so I would have to back up and reread a little bit to get my bearings again and figure out what was going on. I eventually got used to it and was able to read it without much of an issue, but it was still a little bit frustrating at first.

(Spoilers in this paragraph, so skip to the next one if you don't want the story ruined for you!) OH MY GOD, THAT ENDING, THOUGH. I was praying there was going to be a proposal, but I wasn't really sure how it was going to go because I didn't know if Drew would be on board with that, since he was still struggling to board the girlfriend train. So at the end, with the elevator...ugh. I really wish we could see their wedding day, even though I know a sequel wouldn't really have any sort of plot since they solved all of their issues already. I just..ugh. I really, really am such a sappy, romance-oriented person, so that ending felt absolutely perfect to me.

Overall, I really enjoyed reading The Wedding Date, and I'm super glad that I got on that signing line at BookExpo. This was the first Jasmine Guillory book that I've ever read, and it's safe to say that I definitely got hooked. If you haven't added this book to your TBR yet, or read any of Jasmine's stories, then this is totally one I recommend picking up. You definitely won't be sorry. Now if you'll excuse me, I have some more Jasmine Guillory books to read!


 

No comments

Please note that if your comment doesn’t appear right away, it’s because we have to approve it. Make sure to click the Notify Me box so you can check back once your comment has been approved! ❤️