Mini Reviews: The Gilded Wolves & The Silvered Serpents by Roshani Chokshi

Title: The Gilded Wolves
(The Gilded Wolves #1)
Author: Roshani Chokshi
Genre: Fantasy, Historical Fiction
Source: Wednesday Books via NetGalley
Publisher: Wednesday Books
Publication Date: January 15th 2019

Summary: 
No one believes in them. But soon no one will forget them. It's 1889. The city is on the cusp of industry and power, and the Exposition Universelle has breathed new life into the streets and dredged up ancient secrets. Here, no one keeps tabs on dark truths better than treasure-hunter and wealthy hotelier Séverin Montagnet-Alarie. When the elite, ever-powerful Order of Babel coerces him to help them on a mission, Séverin is offered a treasure that he never imagined: his true inheritance. To hunt down the ancient artifact the Order seeks, Séverin calls upon a band of unlikely experts: An engineer with a debt to pay. A historian banished from his home. A dancer with a sinister past. And a brother in arms if not blood. Together, they will join Séverin as he explores the dark, glittering heart of Paris. What they find might change the course of history--but only if they can stay alive.

  • The fact I spent 95% of this book not having any idea of what was going on, only to have the last 5% suck me in and need book 2? WTF. I had little emotional connection to these characters until the last 5% of the book. No body talk to me, I’m not okay.

  • It only took me months and 3 separate tries to get into The Gilded Wolves to finally read it from beginning to end. To be honest, I didn’t understand the hype. I enjoyed it but I wasn’t overly wowed by it. But that last 90%!? That sucked me right in and I knew I needed the next book right away. 
  • Roshani’s writing style is always one I am going to love along with the characters she creates. Sèrevin, Enrique, Zofia, Laila and Tristan as well as Hypnos were well fleshed out and I felt as if they were real people standing right beside me. 

  • I really loved the magic system in this book and how intricately designed it was. It’s unlike anything I’ve seen before and I loved it. I’m excited to see where the team is going to go on their next adventure because damn, that ending all but killed me.

(I am giving it four stars because this just doesn't feel like a 3.5 star read to me. The writing style was amazing, the idea was unique even if I wasn't overly wowed by The Gilded Wolves.)



Title: The Silvered Serpents
(The Gilded Wolves #2)
Author: Roshani Chokshi
Genre: Historical Fiction, Fantasy 
Source: Wednesday Books via NetGalley
Publisher: Wednesday Books
Publication Date: September 22nd 2020

Summary: 
Returning to the dark and glamorous world of her New York Times instant bestseller, The Gilded Wolves, Roshani Chokshi dazzles us with another riveting tale as full of mystery and danger as ever. They are each other’s fiercest love, greatest danger, and only hope. Séverin and his team members might have successfully thwarted the Fallen House, but victory came at a terrible cost ― one that still haunts all of them. Desperate to make amends, Séverin pursues a dangerous lead to find a long lost artifact rumored to grant its possessor the power of God. Their hunt lures them far from Paris, and into icy heart of Russia where crystalline ice animals stalk forgotten mansions, broken goddesses carry deadly secrets, and a string of unsolved murders makes the crew question whether an ancient myth is a myth after all. As hidden secrets come to the light and the ghosts of the past catch up to them, the crew will discover new dimensions of themselves. But what they find out may lead them down paths they never imagined. A tale of love and betrayal as the crew risks their lives for one last job.
I was lucky enough to be able to start The Silvered Serpents right after finished The Gilded Wolves and I can't image the pain of having to wait a year after the conclusion of the first book in this series. All I will say is this, I thought the pain at the end of The Gilded Wolves was bad. Just wait friends. That was nothing compared to the pain that this book made me feel. 

Where I wasn't in love with The Gilded Wolves I am in love with The Silvered Serpents. Our favorite crew is back together for one final heist and the stakes are higher then ever. After the murder of Tristan the crew is barley holding on by a thread and have mostly gone their separate ways. *Sobs* Seeing them all together and some of their bonds falling seamlessly together again is probably one of my favorite aspects of this book. 

The world building in this novel is spectacular and unlike the first book at all. The concept of the ice castle, the hidden aspects of it and its dangers had me on the edge of my seat for a majority of this book. 

Séverin's character takes a dark turn in this book and I can't wait to see how readers are going to take to that. It is masterly done and only adds more and more layers to his already complex character. Also, can we just talk about how Laila and their relationship and just ugh. I am hoping they find a happily ever after in the next book. I truly am. 

There are so many things I want to discuss about this book but I can't because of spoilers. Overall I loved The Silver Serpents and will be not patiently waiting for the conclusion of this series. 


No comments

Please note that if your comment doesn’t appear right away, it’s because we have to approve it. Make sure to click the Notify Me box so you can check back once your comment has been approved! ❤️