Review: Imagine Me (Shatter Me, #6) by Tahereh Mafi (Jessica's Review)

Title: Imagine Me (Shatter Me, #6)
Author: Tahereh Mafi
Publisher: HarperCollins
Rating: 4/5 Stars
Hardcover, 464 Pages
Published March 2020


Summary: Juliette Ferrars. Ella Sommers. Which is the truth and which is the lie? Now that Ella knows who Juliette is and what she was created for, things have only become more complicated. As she struggles to understand the past that haunts her and looks to a future more uncertain than ever, the lines between right and wrong—between Ella and Juliette—blur. And with old enemies looming, her destiny may not be her own to control. The day of reckoning for the Reestablishment is coming. But she may not get to choose what side she fights on.

Absolutely EVERYONE knows what big Shatter Me fans Emily, Amber, and I are, so needless to say, I had this book pre-ordered from the very first second that I heard about it. I couldn't wait to get it in my hands and read another installment -- the FINAL installment -- of the series that I had loved so much since I was thirteen years old. When my copy of the book arrived, I was almost a little bit too afraid to start it, because I knew it was going to be the beginning of the end. Well...I've certainly got a lot of thoughts on the topic, so let's launch into my review!

As the summary explains, this book is the sixth and final installment in the Shatter Me series. It had always been intended to be a trilogy, but then Tahereh Mafi revisited it years later and realized that she had a lot more to say. So then we were lucky enough to get three more books in the series, but this time it's really over...and I don't think my heart can take it. And I have so many thoughts on this book, that's for sure!

For starters: I forgot how easy it was to fall into a Tahereh Mafi book. I tore through over 100 pages of this book each day, solely because I was so in love with the storytelling that I just couldn't stop. I am also not ashamed to admit that I swooned every single time Warner was on the page, even when he was being stoic and moody, because I have always been so in love with him and watching him change throughout all six books has been crazy. I think I am definitely going to be a Warnerette shipper for life. This story was also super action-packed and kept me hooked from the beginning to the end, and there are a lot of different plot twists and crazy scenes that I hadn't seen coming!

However, there were definitely some parts of this book that I struggled with. For one thing, there is a lot of gore. A LOT of gore. And it can get really descriptive. It certainly was mentioned in previous books, but I feel like the gore-factor was really upped in this one. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but as someone who is really squeamish, there were definitely a few times where I had to put down the book for a few minutes and gather myself because I was a little dizzy over something I just read. But that could just be me!

One another thing I was mildly confused about was the beginning of the book, because it starts with so much action that the reader is immediately thrown into without much description. However, as the book started to pick up, I caught my groove and settled into the story easily. So that's good! 

(Spoilers incoming -- skip to the next paragraph to avoid them!) I also both really loved and was also really confused by the ending. For one, the wedding between Warner and Juliette is something I've always wanted to read, so I'm glad that we got some glimpses of that...however, we only got glimpses, which as a reader made me super sad because I know I'm not the only person who was excited to read about that wedding. Also...the way the book formally ends and then picks up in the epilogue leaves a lot of gaps that left me feeling a little bit confused. It definitely felt a little bit rushed. But I still got to see Warner and Juliette being the most adorable couple EVER and my poor fangirl heart could barely take it, so I definitely enjoying reading it! 

Overall, I really enjoyed reading Imagine Me. I'm definitely a little bit teary eyed at the thought of one of my favorite series ending forever, that's for sure, but I'm still glad that I got to make so many fond memories while reading them and also sharing my love for them with my co-bloggers. And although the story has come to an end, make no mistake -- I will always, always, ALWAYS have a soft spot in my heart for Aaron Warner.



 

No comments

Please note that if your comment doesn’t appear right away, it’s because we have to approve it. Make sure to click the Notify Me box so you can check back once your comment has been approved! ❤️