Review: Tweet Cute by Emma Lord (Jessica's Review)

Title: Tweet Cute
Author: Emma Lord
Publisher: Wednesday Books
Rating: 4/5 Stars
Hardcover, 368 Pages
Published January 2020


Summary: Meet Pepper, swim team captain, chronic overachiever, and all-around perfectionist. Her family may be falling apart, but their massive fast-food chain is booming ― mainly thanks to Pepper, who is barely managing to juggle real life while secretly running Big League Burger’s massive Twitter account. Enter Jack, class clown and constant thorn in Pepper’s side. When he isn’t trying to duck out of his obscenely popular twin’s shadow, he’s busy working in his family’s deli. His relationship with the business that holds his future might be love/hate, but when Big League Burger steals his grandma’s iconic grilled cheese recipe, he’ll do whatever it takes to take them down, one tweet at a time. All’s fair in love and cheese ― that is, until Pepper and Jack’s spat turns into a viral Twitter war. Little do they know, while they’re publicly duking it out with snarky memes and retweet battles, they’re also falling for each other in real life ― on an anonymous chat app Jack built. As their relationship deepens and their online shenanigans escalate ― people on the internet are shipping them?? ― their battle gets more and more personal, until even these two rivals can’t ignore they were destined for the most unexpected, awkward, all-the-feels romance that neither of them expected.

A few years ago, we were following Emma Lord on Twitter when she Tweeted a book idea about two teens that work for rival companies sending messages online to each other (a-la Wendy's style), and they potentially...*gasp*...fall in love. And it's safe to say that the internet LOVED the idea...and then shortly thereafter, Emma Tweeted that it was ACTUALLY going to be a book, and we added it to our TBR on Goodreads immediately because we had been fans of the idea from the start and knew that this was something we definitely wanted to read. Well, at long last, I got the opportunity to read the book recently, so here are my thoughts!

As the summary explains, Pepper's parents own Big League Burgers, one of the largest fast food chains in the country. Jack's parents own a family-run deli downtown. But when BLB seems to have stolen Jack's family's secret grilled cheese recipe, he can't help but send a snarky Tweet back. Which results in a Twitter war that neither party was expecting...plus some unexpected surprises along the way.

I ABSOLUTELY LOVED THIS BOOK. I've been on a roll lately with LOVING everything I've been reading, having so many 5-star reviews in just a few short weeks that I'm super pumped to add this one to the list as well! It was super hilarious and definitely kept me hooked from start to finish -- I finished reading this entire book in only about 24 hours because I just loved it so much that I couldn't put it down and always wanted to know what was going to happen next! Time seriously just flew by while I was reading this book.

I also really loved all of the food references in this book, even though they made me super hungry! At one point while I was reading, I got up to raid my fridge and check to see if we had the ingredients for me to make some grilled cheese for lunch, since the book got me craving it that badly. I'm also really intrigued by the idea of Pepper's Monster Cake and absolutely will be trying it as soon as I have the chance! Seriously you guys, there were so many delicious baked goods and sandwiches and burgers and fries in this book...you're going to get hungry!

Perhaps the coolest part of my reading experience with TWEET CUTE is the fact that, as mentioned above, I vividly remember the day I came across her Tweet toying with the idea of this book. It was in the middle of Wendy's reaching peak social media success for their sassy comebacks, and the internet was loving it, so understandably everyone was ALL over this idea. So seeing it go from a Tweet that we liked into a book that is in my hands right 

Overall, I absolutely LOVED Tweet Cute and would recommend it to anyone looking for a book to devour while laughing, gasping, swooning, and everything in between. Seeing this amazing book stem from a Tweet was such a cool experience from a reader's standpoint, and it was just such an adorable and funny novel that I really appreciated. I'd definitely recommend adding this one to your TBR if you haven't yet! 

If you're interested in reading Amber's review of TWEET CUTE, you can check it out here!



 

No comments

Please note that if your comment doesn’t appear right away, it’s because we have to approve it. Make sure to click the Notify Me box so you can check back once your comment has been approved! ❤️