2021 Debut Author Interview: Alexandra Overy!

In 2019, we made it our goal is to work with as many debut authors as possible and to spread the word about their debut novels. It was such a success last year that we decided to continue the fun for years to come! Follow us this year as we pick the minds of the 2021 debuts and chat with them about their writing process and what it's like to be a new author. Also stay tuned for news of giveaways, Twitter chats, and more!

At the end of 2020, we Tweeted about wanting to discover more debut authors and their books. We ended up finding Alexandra Overy and her novel THESE FEATHERED FLAMES, and we have been interested in it ever since! We are so excited to have Alexandra on the blog today to answer some of our questions! 





Alexandra grew up in London and moved to Los Angeles to pursue her undergraduate degree in history at UCLA, followed by her MFA in screenwriting also at UCLA. She loves writing in all formats, from novels to screenplays to graphic novels, always centring on fierce women and morally grey characters, often with a bit of magic and murder. 

Keep up with Alexandra: Website / Twitter / Instagram / Goodreads


The Book Bratz: First of all, congratulations! How does it feel to be a debut author?

Alexandra: Thank you! It honestly still feels very surreal, even with only a few months left. This is something I’ve dreamed of for so long and now it’s actually happening it’s hard to believe!

The Book Bratz: In your opinion, what's the best part of the writing process? What's the hardest?

Alexandra: I think the best part is that honeymoon phase when you’ve just begun a new project. Nothing has to be right yet, and you just get to play in this new world and meet these new characters. I love how everything feels possible and it’s always the most magical part of the process for me. I’d say the hardest (at the moment) is writing a sequel! As I’m writing my first sequel right now, it’s definitely more of a struggle. You already have all these set rules and expectations, so it’s a lot more pressure. 


The Book Bratz: Where did you get the idea for THESE FEATHERED FLAMES?

Alexandra: After my first book didn’t sell, I was brainstorming new ideas with my agent. We started talking about ballet stories and I immediately went to The Firebird, which is one of my favourite ballets. I was especially interested in the way that the Firebird is perceived in both the ballet and the folktale: as something for men to possess. I also knew I wanted to write a story about sisters, as I’m very close to my sister, and the idea grew from there.

The Book Bratz: Who was your favorite character to write? Who was the most difficult?

Alexandra: I really liked writing the main two sisters, Izaveta and Asya, because they’re so different in their voices but also very similar in their fears and wants. I think the hardest character to write in These Feathered Flames was Yuliana (aka Strashe Vilanovich). She’s a woman of very few words and holds a lot of her feelings very close and guarded, which made it hard to always work out what she was thinking—especially as she’s not a POV character. I had to do a lot of extra character work to get to know her!


The Book Bratz: Are there any other books or authors who give you inspiration for your own writing?

Alexandra: So many! The best way to learn to write is to read a lot, so I’ve always tried to read everything I can. Some books that really inspired my own writing are Strange the Dreamer by Laini Taylor because I just adore her prose, This Savage Song by Victoria Schwab (who doesn’t love a soft monster book!?) and Graceling by Kristin Cashore. That was one of the first fantasy books I read as a teen, and it definitely influenced a lot of my writing. 


The Book Bratz: Do you plan on returning to the world of THESE FEATHERED FLAMES in the future, or do you have any other projects in mind? Can you tell us anything about them?

Alexandra: I’m working on the sequel to These Feathered Flames right now! It’s a duology, so this is the final book in that world. But I’m also working on my middle grade debut that’s out next year, The Gingerbread Witch. It’s a retelling of “Hansel and Gretel” that follows Maud, the daughter of a witch who lives in a house made of gingerbread. After her mother is pushed into the oven by the young witch hunters, Maud must find a way to resurrect her or risk all of the witch’s magical creations turning back into gingerbread–including Maud herself. I’m also beginning to think about my next YA, but not enough to share yet! 


Title: These Feathered Flames
Author: Alexandra Overy
Publisher: Inkyard Press
Publication Date: April 20th, 2021

Summary: When twin heirs are born in Tourin, their fates are decided at a young age. While Izaveta remained at court to learn the skills she’d need as the future queen, Asya was taken away to train with her aunt, the mysterious Firebird, who ensured magic remained balanced in the realm. But before Asya’s training is completed, the ancient power blooms inside her, which can mean only one thing: the queen is dead, and a new ruler must be crowned. As the princesses come to understand everything their roles entail, they’ll discover who they can trust, who they can love—and who killed their mother.


Thank you so much to Alexandra for stopping by and answering our questions! We are super excited about THESE FEATHERED FLAMES and can't wait for it to be out in the world on April 20th


Celebrate So Excited GIF by Hey Violet



No comments

Please note that if your comment doesn’t appear right away, it’s because we have to approve it. Make sure to click the Notify Me box so you can check back once your comment has been approved! ❤️