Guest Review: Sadie by Courtney Summers


Title: Sadie
Author: Courtney Summers
Rating: 4/5 Stars
Publisher: Wednesday Books
Hardcover, 320 Pages
Publication Date: September 4th, 2018 

Summary: A gripping novel about the depth of a sister's love; poised to be the next book you won't be able to stop talking about. A missing girl on a journey of revenge and a Serial-like podcast following the clues she's left behind. Sadie hasn't had an easy life. Growing up on her own, she's been raising her sister Mattie in an isolated small town, trying her best to provide a normal life and keep their heads above water. But when Mattie is found dead, Sadie's entire world crumbles. After a somewhat botched police investigation, Sadie is determined to bring her sister's killer to justice and hits the road following a few meager clues to find him. When West McCray—a radio personality working on a segment about small, forgotten towns in America—overhears Sadie's story at a local gas station, he becomes obsessed with finding the missing girl. He starts his own podcast as he tracks Sadie's journey, trying to figure out what happened, hoping to find her before it's too late.

Today on the blog we have a guest review from Jessica over at Books 4 JessicaShe was kind enough to stop by and review an advanced copy of Sadie and share her thoughts on it, and we couldn't be more excited to have her here as our guest reviewer for today! So without further ado, let's get into it!


I have to say to start off that reading Sadie is not like reading any other book. In all honesty...it is an experience. And one that I am very happy I choose to be a part of.

Sadie is a book about a young woman named Sadie on the run to find her sister's killer. Elsewhere there is a podcaster trying to investigate where Sadie is and what happened to her.

I am usually better at writing the summaries of what a book is about, but this book honestly needs a vague summary like this. Something I really liked about this book is the fact that it takes you on a journey. It shows you all of Sadie's steps and explains to you in clever ways (both vague and straightforward) why she is doing what she is doing or her history. The podcast format of the book is also interesting as we get to know another side of the people that Sadie met along her way and knew in her life, as well as the podcaster himself. The storytelling of the book could seem a little repetitive at first (and yes that was an issue I had with it, but it really picks up as the story goes along).

Something else I enjoyed about the story is getting to see all the twist and turns that take place in this book. And I don't just mean surprises. There isn't any big twist in the book I feel no one sees coming, but there are little moments throughout that really help surprise you or make you wonder. You don't know where Sadie will end up next or what the podcaster will find out. I love the surprises in this book and how you can only somewhat guess what was going to happen next...sometimes.

The reason I am not giving this book 5/5 stars is due to two things. The first is that the book gets a little repetitive at the beginning and is a little lackluster. Around 35% of the way through I was feeling kind of bored and felt like there was not really much happening. However at the half way point the book started to pick up. I don't want to say this to scare people off because even before I was 50% the way through the book it was good and I don't think every reader will agree with me regarding the repetitiveness, but that is just how I felt. The second reason was the ending. Without giving anything away the ending left me wanting more. I did understand why the author decided to have it end the way it did and I did feel semi-satisfied with it, but I was really hoping that something would happen at the end that did not. You will understand when you read the book and maybe you'll be totally satisfied with the ending (and in some ways I was). However, personally I just wished that I had gotten I guess a little more from Sadie's chapters in the end. That is the best way I can put it without spoilers.

Overall, this was a great book. I want to emphasize again that I really felt this book was an experience and something filled with great characters and surprises you might not see coming. This book comes out tomorrow and you definitely won't want to skip it. It is a great thriller, mystery, and adventure you'll just have to read to believe.




We'd like to once again thank Jessica for stopping by The Book Bratz today to post this guest review. You can read the original review over on her blog!











** Psst! Interested in guest reviewing on The Book Bratz? Shoot us an email at thebookbratz@gmail.com or DM us on Twitter (@thebookbratz) and we'd love to have you!

No comments

Please note that if your comment doesn’t appear right away, it’s because we have to approve it. Make sure to click the Notify Me box so you can check back once your comment has been approved! ❤️