ARC Review: Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard

Title: Red Queen (Red Queen Trilogy #1)
Author: Victoria Aveyard 
Genre: Fantasy
Source: Edelweiss 
Publisher: Harper Teen
Publication Date: February 10, 2014
Add it to Goodreads / Pre-order it on Amazon
Read Jessica's Review!

Summary: 
The poverty stricken Reds are commoners, living under the rule of the Silvers, elite warriors with god-like powers. To Mare Barrow, a 17-year-old Red girl from The Stilts, it looks like nothing will ever change. Mare finds herself working in the Silver Palace, at the centre ofthose she hates the most. She quickly discovers that, despite her red blood, she possesses a deadly power of her own. One that threatens to destroy Silver control. But power is a dangerous game. And in this world divided by blood, who will win?


This is the second time I have read Red Queen, I love it that much. Red Queen is easily one of my favorite reads of this year. (or next year?) It could have easily been a book with a beautiful cover, but horrible writing but it wasn't. Of course the cover was the first thing to catch my eye, and then when I read the summary I knew I would love it. I was right! Victoria Aveyard's writing is beautiful and sucked me right in. 

Red Queen takes place in a world were the color of your blood dictates your superiority. Red bloods live in poverty and are looked down upon by Silver bloods who possess powers. Mare Barrow is just trying to get through life until she will be tossed into the army like her brothers. She spends her days being a pick-pocket and thief, trying to provide for her family while she still can. One night while attempting to pick-pocket a man at a pub he catches her, gives her a silver coin and lets her leave with the generous gift, simply saying he has a good job. The next morning Mare is awoken to guards are her door demanding her presence at the palace. Mare, with no other choice goes and soon learns that her generous stranger got her a job serving the people she hates the most, Silvers. But taking on this job makes Mare learn new things about herself and the country she was born into. 

Mare was an awesome protagonist, she isn't perfect. In fact she makes some pretty stupid choices, but accepts the fact that she does and makes the best of it. In a world where you can't trust anyone though her bad choices aren't that unexpected. Mare is one of my favorite characters I have read in 2014, from the beginning to the end of the novel she grew and I can't wait to see how she will grow in the following books. 

There is and isn't a love triangle. It is complicated and I can't say to much with out giving important information away. I know a lot of people hate love triangles but in my honest opinion is that those people will love this. At one moment, one boy has your cheering for him then the next moment you're cheering for the other one. It doesn't take up the whole novel. 

Red Queen is action packed and full of twists and turns. I won't lie. I never expected what happens at the end of the novel. My jaw dropped. Then the book ended and I wanted to scream because I need to know what is going to happen. Red Queen is one of those books that you are so sure that you know what is going to happen, and it isn't. Victoria Aveyard has a talent for throwing her readers off from the actually truth of what was happening. The ending just proves that Mare can't trust anyone. Not even her allies. 

RATING: ★★★★★




4 comments

  1. Damn Amber! Re-read it already?? It speaks so very highly of how good the book is! I have it in my wish list and cannot wait to get it!
    Thanks for the warning about the love triangle that is and isn't!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe! I loved it too much. The love triangle that isn't doesn't even take up most of the book like in other books. Literally nothing to worry about!

      Delete
  2. Yikes. I'm actually a little SCARED to read this book when it comes out!! Sounds like it'll be packed with shocking plot twists and politics....politics in books always screw with my head lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait until Red Queen is released. Sounds AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete

Please note that if your comment doesn’t appear right away, it’s because we have to approve it. Make sure to click the Notify Me box so you can check back once your comment has been approved! ❤️