Review: Defy Me (Shatter Me, #5) by Tahereh Mafi - Jessica's Review


Title: Defy Me (Shatter Me, #5)
Author: Tahereh Mafi
Publisher: HarperTeen
Rating: 5/5 Stars
Hardcover, 352 Pages
Published April 2019


Summary: Juliette’s short tenure as the supreme commander of North America has been an utter disaster. When the children of the other world leaders show up on her doorstep, she wants nothing more than to turn to Warner for support and guidance. But he shatters her heart when he reveals that he’s been keeping secrets about her family and her identity from her—secrets that change everything. Juliette is devastated, and the darkness that’s always dwelled within her threatens to consume her. An explosive encounter with unexpected visitors might be enough to push her over the edge. 

As most of you know, we here at The Book Bratz have been huge fans of the Shatter Me series for the longest time. Seriously -- Aaron Warner is the #1 book boyfriend and we honestly fight over him all of the time because we love him so much. So when we found out that the series would get extended by three books, we were absolutely thrilled. So I just finished reading the 5th book in the series -- there's one more to go -- and I'm such an emotional, crying mess because of how incredible the story was, so I immediately hopped on my computer to write my review before I forgot about it. So without further ado, let's get into my review!

As the summary explains, at the end of Restore Me, we find out that Juliette is not who she seems. There is an entire world of secrets that she doesn't have access to, an entire life before she came into The Reestablishment, that she doesn't know about. And now she and all of her friends are being held captive, so they have to figure out how to get out of that while also finding a way to figure out all of the secrets and things that have been kept from them for so long.

You guys, I ABSOLUTELY LOVED THIS BOOK. Seriously. This book has basically rocketed up to my #1 favorite book in a long time. I tore through the entire thing in roughly 24 hours because I couldn't put it down, always wanting to know what would happen next. There's literally so much that happens in this book, and so much information that you learn about The Reestablishment and all of the characters in the story. There are plenty of plot twists to keep the story moving, which is also part of the reason that I finished the book so quickly. This is also, to my knowledge, the shortest (or at least one of the shorter) books in the series, less than 360 pages, so it's pretty quick to get through. Which is great if you're looking for a gripping read, but super sad if you're like me and you don't want the story to end!

My favorite character in this book, as usual, was Warner. He's so fiercely loyal and defensive of Juliette/Ella that it just made my heart really fall in love with him and more and more. Without spoiling anything, all I'll say is that there are definitely some things that go down in this book that make me and Amber and Emily fight over him as our ideal book boyfriend, that's for sure!

(Minor spoilers here, skip to the next paragraph to avoid them!) My book was the B&N exclusive edition as well, so I got to read a steamy deleted scene between Aaron and Juliette, and also some files from The Reestablishment. So if you're trying to find a place to get a copy of the book, I'd recommend the B&N route if you're looking for some deleted scenes and cool files!

(***MAJOR MAJOR MAJOR SPOILERS HERE, PLEASE SKIP TO THE NEXT PARAGRAPH TO AVOID THEM!***) Oh my god, okay, so we *have* to talk about the proposal thing because my little fangirl heart just can't take it. I've always told Amber and Emily that I really hoped they would get married one day, and the moment where Warner realized he wanted to marry Ella literally had me squealing and crying and clutching the book to my chest happily. And then when he actually proposed to her? Oh my god. OH MY GOD, MY HEART. I seriously cannot handle it. I seriously hope we get to see the wedding in the next book, because that would literally just send my happy little romantic heart into heaven. And the fact that it ended with a birthday party for Warner, on a happy note? I was just so shocked that our heart wasn't thrown into the blender at the last minute. Which *does* make me a little bit suspicious... 

Overall, I absolutely loved DEFY ME, and I'd 100% recommend you go read it as soon as possible. If this is a series that you haven't started yet, I seriously encourage giving it a shot, because I was never a huge sci-fan fan before this but this still became one of my absolute favorite series of all time. I'm anxiously awaiting the last book in the series (nooooooooooo!) to come out next year, and I know I'll be staining the pages with all of my tears because of all adorable and intense and emotional it's going to be. Hats off to Tahereh Mafi for once again destroying my heart with her amazing writing. I wish Aaron Warner was a real person so I could marry him -- don't tell my boyfriend that! But seriously guys, you NEED this book. For real. Right now. Which means stop reading this review and head over to Amazon. What are you waiting for?!



No comments

Please note that if your comment doesn’t appear right away, it’s because we have to approve it. Make sure to click the Notify Me box so you can check back once your comment has been approved! ❤️