ARC Review: The Library of Lost Things by Laura Taylor Namey

Title: The Library of Lost Things
Author: Laura Taylor Namey
Publisher: Inkyard Press
Rating: 5/5 Stars
Hardcover, 384 Pages
Publication Date: October 8th, 2019


Summary: From the moment she first learned to read, literary genius Darcy Wells has spent most of her time living in the worlds of her books. There, she can avoid the crushing reality of her mother’s hoarding and pretend her life is simply ordinary. But when a new property manager becomes more active in the upkeep of their apartment complex, the only home Darcy has ever known outside of her books suddenly hangs in the balance. While Darcy is struggling to survive beneath the weight of her mother’s compulsive shopping, Asher Fleet, a former teen pilot with an unexpectedly shattered future, walks into the bookstore where she works…and straight into her heart. For the first time in her life, Darcy can’t seem to find the right words. Fairy tales are one thing, but real love makes her want to hide inside her carefully constructed ink-and-paper bomb shelter. Still, after spending her whole life keeping people out, something about Asher makes Darcy want to open up. But securing her own happily-ever-after will mean she’ll need to stop hiding and start living her own truth—even if it’s messy.

I received an advanced copy of The Library of Lost Things at BookExpo this year, and I also got to meet Laura in person, and she was super sweet and funny and it was really great to see her! So, needless to say, I was really excited to read her debut book, which had been on my TBR for quite some time. I'm happy to report that this book certainly did not disappoint. So let's get into my review!

As the summary explains, Darcy is struggling to both find herself and her future, while also juggling the problem of her mother's hoarding, which she carries around like a shameful secret. She wants to be out there, have a life of her own, but she's afraid of letting people get too close because she doesn't want anyone to find out her family's secret. But as people around her start closing in and sniffing around (including a new apartment manager insisting on coming in to make renovations), she isn't quite sure what to do.

I really, really loved this book! All of the writing was absolutely gorgeous, to the point that I had to stop several times to reread passages because Laura crafted such gorgeous sentences that they really needed to have the time to be appreciated. It was also really interesting to see how Darcy balanced her life of trying to be invisible while also dealing with her mother's hoarding, and it was also really sad to see. I couldn't imagine going through something like that, especially when all she wants is her freedom and a happy life, but she can't bring herself to abandon her mother.

Now onto characters: I loved seeing another character that loves books as much as I do! I definitely felt Darcy's pain when she was at a party or a social function and all she wanted to do was fall into a story and curl up on the couch. I also thought her whole memorization skill was super impressive as well, and it's something I totally wish I could do! Marisol was also my absolute favorite character -- she was so sure of herself, so outspoken and strong-willed, and she was also such an incredible friend to Darcy. I was cheering her on any time she showed up on the page!

The whole thing between Darcy and Asher was super emotional and adorable, and definitely swoon-worthy when it got a little more romantic. I felt really bad about everything that happened to him, but seeing him talk about re-directing your dreams was actually something I really, really needed to hear right now in my own personal life, so it was really inspiring and made me feel really good.

Overall, I really enjoyed reading The Library of Lost Things. If you're looking for a refreshing debut that you tear through because it's just so good that you can't put it down, then I'd definitely recommend picking up this one! Laura Taylor Namey is such a great writer, and I'll absolutely be reading more of her work in the future. Add this book to your TBR immediately! 



 

No comments

Please note that if your comment doesn’t appear right away, it’s because we have to approve it. Make sure to click the Notify Me box so you can check back once your comment has been approved! ❤️