Febuary DNF Round Up!



It's that time of the month where I share my recent DNFs! 😔 To be honest, I wass really excited for all of these books and I'm sad that they didn't work out for me. As always though, just because these books weren't my cup of tea doesn't mean they won't be yours! 

~~~

Title: The June Boys
Author: Court Stevens
Genre: Mystery, Thriller 
Source: Thomas Nelson via NetGalley
Publisher: Thomas Nelson
Publication Date: March 3rd 2020

Summary: 
The Gemini Thief could be anyone. Your father, your mother, your best friend’s crazy uncle. Some country music star’s deranged sister. Anyone. The Gemini Thief is a serial kidnapper, who takes three boys and holds them captive from June 1st to June 30th of the following year. The June Boys endure thirteen months of being stolen, hidden, observed, and fed before they are released, unharmed, by their masked captor. The Thief is a pro, having eluded authorities for nearly a decade and taken at least twelve boys. Now Thea Delacroix has reason to believe the Gemini Thief took a thirteenth victim: her cousin, Aulus McClaghen. But the game changes when one of the kidnapped boys turns up dead. Together with her boyfriend Nick and her best friends, Thea is determined to find the Gemini Thief and the remaining boys before it’s too late. Only she’s beginning to wonder something sinister, something repulsive, something unbelievable, and yet, not impossible: What if her father is the Gemini Thief?

The synopsis of this novel gave me the chills and I knew I needed to request this book. I had high hopes for The June Boys, but I feel like this story just fell flat. The first chapter intrigued me, though there was a lot of information thrown at me I figured it would get discussed in the upcoming chapters. We are also introduced the a lot of characters and they are all very one dimensional.


Most of the time I would have pushed through the above issues but then nothing was really happening and I was bored. I began to dread picking up The June Boys and found every excuse to not read. That’s one I knew this one wasn’t going to be for me. 
I’ve seen so many positive reviews for The June Boys so I know for a fact it is going to be a well loved book, but for me I just wasn’t what I was expecting.

Title: Belle Révolte
Author: Linsey Miller
Genre: Fantasy
Source: ARC sent via Sourcebooks Fire 
Publisher: Sourcebooks Fire
Publication Date: February 4th 2020

Summary: 
Emilie des Marais is more at home holding scalpels than embroidery needles and is desperate to escape her noble roots to serve her country as a physician. But society dictates a noble lady cannot perform such gruesome work. Annette Boucher, overlooked and overworked by her family, wants more from life than her humble beginnings and is desperate to be trained in magic. So when a strange noble girl offers Annette the chance of a lifetime, she accepts. Emilie and Annette swap lives—Annette attends finishing school as a noble lady to be trained in the ways of divination, while Emilie enrolls to be a physician’s assistant, using her natural magical talent to save lives. But when their nation instigates a frivolous war, Emilie and Annette must work together to help the rebellion end a war that is based on lies.

I'm more disappointed in myself for not liking Belle Rèvolte then I am at anything else. I loved Linsey’s previous trilogy so I figured I was going to love this book too. I truly believe that this was more of a “It’s not you, it’s me” situation then anything else. The writing is beautiful and descriptive and the magic system was well done from what I read.

But I started this book 5 separate times and after each time I wouldn’t make it past 20% before I just wasn’t feeling it anymore. I was bored and finding every excuse to do anything but read.

I’ve seen so many positive reviews for Belle Rèvolte so I really wanted to love it but sadly I didn’t. I have no doubt that this book isn’t going to be well loved by others though and I can’t wait to see what Linsey is going to come up with next for her readers!


Title: All The Pretty Things 
Author: Emily Arsenault
Genre: Mystery, Thriller 
Source: Delacorte via NetGalley 
Publisher: Delacorte Press
Publication Date: March 17th 2020

Summary: 
For fans of Sadie and The Cheerleaders comes an all new thriller about a boy who turns up dead under suspicious circumstances and the one girl who may be the key to solving the mystery of his untimely death. For Ivy, summer means roller-coaster season, spinning cotton candy at the Fabuland amusement park, and hanging out with her best friend, Morgan. But this summer is different. One morning, Morgan finds a dead body. It's their former classmate and coworker Ethan. To make matters worse, Morgan is taken to a hospital psych ward only days later, and she's not saying much--not even to Ivy. The police claim that Ethan simply took a bad fall, but Ivy isn't convinced and realizes it's up to her to get answers. What she finds is unsettling--it's clear that some people aren't being honest about Ethan's last night at Fabuland. Including Morgan. And the more secrets Ivy uncovers, the closer she gets to unraveling dark truths that will change her life forever.
The synopsis for this book sucked me right in and I was so excited when I was approved for it on NetGalley. Plus, that cover! It’s so ominous and really gets you thinking about what All The Pretty Things could be about.

I feel like I expected a thriller with tons of twists and turns that was set in an amusement park and something that was just going to leave me shocked. In reality I wasn’t all the surprised and I was actually kinda bored through 75% of this novel.

All The Pretty Things has a lot of potential, but it just fell short of it. Based of the summary the reader thinks they are getting into to one thing, when in reality the summary is a bit misleading.


Have you read any of these books yet? If so, what were your thoughts? I'd love to hear about them in the comments! 

No comments

Please note that if your comment doesn’t appear right away, it’s because we have to approve it. Make sure to click the Notify Me box so you can check back once your comment has been approved! ❤️