Review: Regretting You by Colleen Hoover

Title: Regretting You
Author: Colleen Hoover
Publisher: Montlake Romance
Rating: 3/5 Stars
Paperback, 366 Pages
Published December 2019


Summary: Morgan Grant and her sixteen-year-old daughter, Clara, would like nothing more than to be nothing alike. Morgan is determined to prevent her daughter fkrom making the same mistakes she did. By getting pregnant and married way too young, Morgan put her own dreams on hold. Clara doesn’t want to follow in her mother’s footsteps. Her predictable mother doesn’t have a spontaneous bone in her body. With warring personalities and conflicting goals, Morgan and Clara find it increasingly difficult to coexist. The only person who can bring peace to the household is Chris—Morgan’s husband, Clara’s father, and the family anchor. But that peace is shattered when Chris is involved in a tragic and questionable accident. The heartbreaking and long-lasting consequences will reach far beyond just Morgan and Clara. While struggling to rebuild everything that crashed around them, Morgan finds comfort in the last person she expects to, and Clara turns to the one boy she’s been forbidden to see. With each passing day, new secrets, resentment, and misunderstandings make mother and daughter fall further apart. So far apart, it might be impossible for them to ever fall back together.

Emily lent me a copy of this book to review after she read it, since we've both read a lot of Colleen Hoover books and have really enjoyed them, so needless to say, I was excited to pick this one up. So without further ado, let's get into my review!

As the summary explains, Morgan and Clara are struggling with their relationship as mother and daughter, especially after a tragic accident. While navigating the grieving process, some sinister secrets come to light, which makes their relationship so much harder. Before they know it, they're both keeping secrets from each other, and their relationship is spiraling in a way that they're not sure they can get back from. Will they ever be able to come back together?

I definitely enjoyed this book, but I was a little bit disappointed because I didn't enjoy this book as much as I enjoyed Colleen's others. As for what I loved about it -- watching the intricate dynamic between Morgan and Clara was really fascinating to me, and I feel like the way that all of the secrets rolled out was really fascinating and kept me engaged as a reader as well. I also really loved Lexie and Clara's friendship -- it reminded me a lot of me and my own best friends!

I guess what felt off to me was that it felt like this book was missing all of the "classic" Colleen Hoover elements that I have come to know and love as a frequent reader of her stuff. In all of her other books, it seemed to focus a lot of the romantic relationships (and there was often a lot of steamy stuff, which isn't everyone's cup of tea but was one of the reasons that Emily and I loved Colleen's books so much). It felt like this book focused a lot more on the mother-daughter relationship between Morgan and Clara, and there was a lot less (if barely any) romance in this book. Which is definitely a great story in and of itself, just not what I expected from a Colleen Hoover book, which is why I was a little bit bummed.

Another thing that I wasn't super crazy about with this book was how long it took for the story to get interesting. I was definitely well over halfway into the book before it felt like the plot was actually picking up and that the stakes were getting higher, to the point that I kept wanting to flip the page to see what was going to happen next. It felt like it took a lot longer in this book to get into that, so I spent the first half of it not really sure how I felt. However, as the story went on, I fell into it and felt myself getting absorbed by the story even more!

Overall, I enjoyed reading Regretting You, but not as much as I enjoyed reading Colleen's other books in the past. However, just because I wasn't super crazy about this one doesn't mean that YOU won't like it -- it just wasn't MY cup of tea! And even though I wasn't crazy about this one, that doesn't mean I won't read more of Colleen's stuff in the future -- and this was still a story that I enjoyed picking up!



 

No comments

Please note that if your comment doesn’t appear right away, it’s because we have to approve it. Make sure to click the Notify Me box so you can check back once your comment has been approved! ❤️