2021 Debut Author Interview: Melissa Hope!

In 2019, we made it our goal is to work with as many debut authors as possible and to spread the word about their debut novels. It was such a success last year that we decided to continue the fun for years to come! Follow us this year as we pick the minds of the 2021 debuts and chat with them about their writing process and what it's like to be a new author. Also stay tuned for news of giveaways, Twitter chats, and more!

At the end of 2020, we Tweeted about wanting to discover more debut authors and their books. We ended up finding Melissa Hope and her novel SEA OF KINGS, and we have been interested in it ever since! We are so excited to have Melissa on the blog today to answer some of our questions! 




Ask Melissa how she became a writer and she’ll give you two reasons:

stubbornness and an idea. The stubbornness began at age twelve when she trekked to the mailbox in a Canadian blizzard and opened the letter she’d been hoping for — her poem would be published in a book. She knew then writing was her future. And hopefully, hot chocolate to thaw out her toes. The idea came years later when she met her Marine Biologist husband. Together, through car rides across the country and conversations over burned homemade pizza, they created the tropical world of her debut novel, SEA OF KINGS. Though still a Canadian at heart, Melissa escaped the snow and now lives in Florida with her family, a bipolar cat, and a growing collection of scuba gear. Even though writing is her passion, Melissa has developed an equal passion for the writing community which has shaped her career in the last year. Through her AuthorTube channel and her Instagram, which has reached over 10K followers, Melissa shares writing advice and updates on her own writing journey. 


Keep up with Melissa: Website / Twitter / Instagram / Goodreads


The Book Bratz: First of all, congratulations! How does it feel to be a debut author? 

Melissa: Thank you! It's amazing. I've dreamed of publishing for years now, that it's almost hard to believe I've done it! I am still pinching myself every time someone sends me a picture of their copy that arrived in the mail, or I see it on the shelf at the bookstore.  

The Book Bratz: In your opinion, what's the best part of the writing process? What's the hardest? 

Melissa: I love to create. I get an adrenaline rush outlining a new story and especially the new world. I also enjoy the early stages of editing because you are not working with a completely blank page (writing the first draft is the hardest for me), and you're not quite at the tedious stages of editing when it's just commas and such. Drafts 3 and 4 may be my favorite! 


The Book Bratz: Where did you get the idea for SEA OF KINGS? 

Melissa: My husband gave me the idea for the Sea of Kings setting, a realm called Aztrius. He was working in the Bahamas tagging sharks and thought: what if kingdoms ruled these tropical islands? From there, we worked together on the outline, and then I wrote and wrote and wrote.  

The Book Bratz: Who was your favorite character to write? Who was the most difficult? 

Melissa: Dagan is my favorite character to write. He's the main character's brother, also the black-haired boy on the cover, and he's such a goof with a heart of gold. Any time I could get those two brothers together, I would. That being said, Noa was the hardest to write. He has so much to learn in this book and so much heartache and guilt associated with his burden to be a prince that I struggled with portraying him the way I saw him in my head. I remember writing one of the most challenging scenes for Noa, and I started getting emotional as I wrote it. I finally had found the words for him that he had been holding inside him for so long, and I don't think he's ever felt more real.  


The Book Bratz: Are there any other books or authors who give you inspiration for your own writing? 

Melissa: Everyone! I try to grab inspiration from literally every book I read. I have received countless ideas for Sea of Kings from reading non-fiction books, for example, Seafaring Lore & Legend by Peter D. Jeans, and I have also learned a lot about writing for children by reading my favorite children's books: Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine, anything by Roald Dahl or Robert Munsch, and Harry Potter, to name a few. 


The Book Bratz: What do you hope that readers will take away from SEA OF KINGS?  

Melissa: I want readers to have fun! I want them to go on an adventure they can't stop thinking about. I also hope they will come away from reading with faith in the power of forgiving—themselves and others. 


The Book Bratz: Do you plan on returning to the world of SEA OF KINGS in the future, or do you have any other projects in mind? Can you tell us anything about them? 

Melissa: I can't say, but I would LOVE to return to the world of Sea of Kings. Hopefully, it won't be too long before I can give you an update on that! I am also exploring picture books and have several ideas in the works, and that's been fun to try something new. 


Title: Sea of Kings
Author: Melissa Hope
Publisher: Jolly Fish Press 
Published April 2021

Summary: Thirteen-year-old Prince Noa has hated the ocean since the day it caused his mother's death. But staying away from the sea isn't easy on his tropical island home where he's stuck trying to keep up with his dim-witted and overconfident younger brother Dagan--the brawn to Noa's brains. When a vengeful pirate lays siege to their home, Noa and Dagan narrowly escape with their lives. Armed with a stolen ship, a haphazardly assembled crew, and a magical map that makes as much sense as slugs in a salt bath, the brothers set sail for the realm's other kingdoms in search of help. But navigating the sea proves deadlier than Noa's worst fears. To free his home, Noa must solve the map's confusing charts and confront the legendary one-eyed pirate before an evil force spreads across the realm and destroys the very people Noa means to protect.


Thank you so much to Melissa for stopping by and answering our questions! We are super excited about SEA OF KINGS, and it's out in the world now for you all to enjoy! 

Celebrate So Excited GIF by Hey Violet



No comments

Please note that if your comment doesn’t appear right away, it’s because we have to approve it. Make sure to click the Notify Me box so you can check back once your comment has been approved! ❤️