The College Diaries: Making My Way Through My MFA Program

Hi everyone! It's been awhile since my last College Diaries update, and I figured that a new one was due. For those of you who may be new around here, The College Diaries is a series that we started here on The Book Bratz to document our change from high school blogging life to college. I graduated my undergraduate program back in 2020, and now I'm in an MFA program until May of 2022 -- which is hard to believe, because that means that I'm already almost done with my College Diaries posts! Still, I figured that I owed you guys an update, since I love keeping you in the loop of what's going on in my life.


There's not much to report -- just that I'm over halfway through my online MFA program at SNHU, and I'm loving it so far. I'm so grateful to my fellow bookish friend Allie for telling me all about the program once she graduated from it, and convincing me to give it a look. I never really considered getting an MFA before the pandemic, but once we found ourselves stuck at home, I realized how much I missed school, and how I really wanted some structure and stability in my life to finish my novel. And the SNHU program was absolutely perfect for me! I'm not going to go on my whole sales pitch spiel now, but if you're considering an MFA, definitely reach out to me and you can hear all about all of the wonderful reasons that I'm so glad to be in the SNHU MFA program.


One thing about the program that I'm super excited for are my three thesis courses, where we really buckle down and spend a lot of time writing our individual novels. I'm really looking forward to being able to buckle down and revise #BeachTownWIP, since the revision process is always what scares me most about the writing process! But I'm really excited and grateful that I took the leap and wound up in a program where I could really work hard on my own writing.


I'm also surprised by how many friends I made, which is something I definitely wasn't expecting from an online MFA program. I already have several people that I talk to regularly, and a few of my classmates and I even started a Facebook group for our program that really took off. It's been a lot of fun so far, and I've been loving it so much! I really love the sense of community in the program, which is a surprise since it's all virtual and asynchronous so we never see each other or even communicate with each other in class outside of discussion posts. There aren't Zoom classes or anything like that. So being able to have a community of other writers that I'm connected with has been awesome. Nobody understands the best and worst parts of the drafting process more than other writers! 


Are you in an MFA program? Considering one? Comment down below and let me know your thoughts!

No comments

Please note that if your comment doesn’t appear right away, it’s because we have to approve it. Make sure to click the Notify Me box so you can check back once your comment has been approved! ❤️