Review: Alex, Approximately by Jenn Bennett


34927042
Title: Alex, Approximately
Author: Jenn Bennett
Publisher: Simon Pulse
Rating: 5/5 Stars
Paperback, 388 Pages
Published April 2017


Summary: Classic movie fan Bailey “Mink” Rydell has spent months crushing on a witty film geek she only knows online as Alex. Two coasts separate the teens until Bailey moves in with her dad, who lives in the same California surfing town as her online crush. Faced with doubts (what if he’s a creep in real life—or worse?), Bailey doesn’t tell Alex she’s moved to his hometown. Or that she’s landed a job at the local tourist-trap museum. Or that she’s being heckled daily by the irritatingly hot museum security guard, Porter Roth—a.k.a. her new archnemesis. But life is a whole lot messier than the movies, especially when Bailey discovers that tricky fine line between hate, love, and whatever it is she’s starting to feel for Porter. And as the summer months go by, Bailey must choose whether to cling to a dreamy online fantasy in Alex or take a risk on an imperfect reality with Porter. The choice is both simpler and more complicated than she realizes, because Porter Roth is hiding a secret of his own: Porter is Alex…Approximately.

So, the story of how I ended up with a copy of this book was actually an amazing and super heartwarming one that reminds me of why I love this bookish community so much. As some of you may know, on our Twitter account, we Tweet a bookish Question of the Day every morning. A few weeks ago, I asked what everyone's favorite romance story was, and one of our awesome and super sweet followers, Brooke, responded and said Alex, Approximately. I told her that I hadn't heard of that book or read it yet, and she immediately DMed me and told me I just had to read it, so she sent me a copy! Which was super sweet and kind of her and definitely something that she didn't have to, which made it all the more special.

And you guys, I absolutely loved this book. It was seriously so awesome, and I'm so glad that Brooke recommended it to me! I started it while waiting on some lines at BookExpo and BookCon, and several people went out of their way to come up to me and tell me how much they loved that book and hoped I enjoyed it, too. And I definitely did! I flew through the nearly 400 pages of this book and wasn't able to put it down because it was such an adorable and hilarious love story. I was super sad when this book ended, because I definitely didn't want to get to the last page. :(

As the summary explains, Bailey (nicknamed "Mink") has been spending a large portion of her time on a film fanatic message board with a boy named Alex. They start to crush on each other a little bit, and Bailey finds out that Alex lives in the same town as her dad, and he's been begging her to come visit him IRL forever. But Bailey's problem is that she doesn't like confrontation, and she's afraid of things going south, so she doesn't tell Alex that she's going to move in with her dad, instead laying low and staying under the radar while trying to figure out who Alex is herself, from afar.

The only problem? Bailey meets Porter, and he's more than she expected. Soon, she starts to feel herself falling for him and his cocky, surfer-boy charm...but what about Alex? Is she even sure that she wants to be with him anymore?

What happens next will shock you. 

What I loved most about this book was all of the adorable banter between Porter and Bailey. They were both super cute and it was even funny to see the moments when they were clashing and bantering with each other. And all of that sexual tension? Pffft. You could cut through it with a knife. (Which definitely results in some steamy stuff...........)

My favorite character in this entire book was Porter, OMG. I am absolutely in love with that boy, without any shame. His cockiness and his humor was just as attractive as his sweet moments, and I found myself swooning throughout the entire book. My poor boyfriend had to listen to me swoon over this fictional guy for the longest time, but it was fine, because I LOVE PORTER SO MUCH. Ugh.

There really wasn't anything I disliked about this book. The entire story kept me hooked from the beginning until the end, and I was so sad when I finally got to the last few pages because I just wanted this book to keep going and going. Which is the sign of a really good story, and that's why I'll be recommending it to everyone I know that's a huge fan of YA contemporary stories, because this book was perfect for me!

Overall, I absolutely loved Alex, Approximately. It was the perfect summer romance story that had me hooked from the very beginning until the very end! I'm super grateful that Brooke recommended this book to me, because now it's safe to say that I'm officially a Jenn Bennett fan and I will absolutely be reading more of her books in the future. 



1 comment

Please note that if your comment doesn’t appear right away, it’s because we have to approve it. Make sure to click the Notify Me box so you can check back once your comment has been approved! ❤️