Review: Majesty (American Royals, #2) by Katharine McGee

Title: Majesty (American Royals, #2)
Author: Katharine McGee
Publisher: Random House Books for Young Readers
Rating: 4/5 Stars
Hardcover, 374 Pages
Published September 2020


Summary: Power is intoxicating. Like first love, it can leave you breathless. Princess Beatrice was born with it. Princess Samantha was born with less. Some, like Nina Gonzalez, are pulled into it. And a few will claw their way in. Ahem, we're looking at you Daphne Deighton. As America adjusts to the idea of a queen on the throne, Beatrice grapples with everything she lost when she gained the ultimate crown. Samantha is busy living up to her "party princess" persona...and maybe adding a party prince by her side. Nina is trying to avoid the  palace--and Prince Jefferson--at all costs. And a dangerous secret threatens to undo all of Daphne's carefully laid "marry Prince Jefferson" plans. A new reign has begun....

I received an ARC of the first book in this series, AMERICAN ROYALS, last year at BookExpo. Since then, it went on to be one of my favorite books of the entire year. So when I found out that there was another book coming out, I immediately wanted a copy. And as soon as I picked it up, I was so glad that I did, because I ended up loving this book just as much as I loved the first one. So without further ado, let's get into my review!

As the summary explains, Beatrice is finally America's first queen, and she has a lot on her plate. Still reeling from the death of her father, now she has a role with such massive responsibility tied to it, and in addition to that, she's also preparing for a royal wedding to a man that she isn't particularly in love with. All while she's being undermined at the palace, her sister is reeling from her love interest getting ready to marry her sister, a ladder-climbing socialite is trying to snag a prince's heart...and there's so much more drama on the horizon. The new reign of the Washingtons is here, and it's about to be chaotic, to say the least.

I absolutely adored this book. From the very start, I thought it was such an interesting premise to see what America would be like if George Washington had been made a king instead of a president. And now the story takes us to present-day America, with a royal family. And the way the last book ended (which I won't spoil for you here) gave me absolute chills, so I was excited to see where it picks up. And let me tell you, this book was such a delight. I read almost 200 pages in a single day because I was so addicted and couldn't put it down. I kept wanting to see what antics and adventures the young royals were going to get up to next, how Daphne's schemes played out, and what was going to happen with the royal wedding. It was such a delightful read that left me feeling giddy and eager to keep reading when I got to the end of every chapter -- and the cast of characters is amazing! 

I'm also a huge sucker for books involving royalty, so this one hit right in the sweet spot of my reading tastes. It gave me the palace vibes of The Selection, but Beatrice's determination really rang true to The Crown. The Royal We and The Heir Affair are also some of my favorite books of all time -- so give me all of the royalty, please! It's a blend of so many different stories that I love, which made it really such a delightful book to read. I spent the next few days after finishing this book daydreaming about palaces, royal weddings, beautiful dresses, and how cool it would be to have the life as a princess. Although, if there's anything that MAJESTY shows you, it's that royal life isn't always as glamorous as we think it is when we're peering in from the outside.

Overall, I absolutely adored MAJESTY and I will be shouting about it to all of my friends for a long while to come. It's looking that this might just be a duology, but I really hope not, because I'd absolutely love to dive into the Washington's world again and again for more books. If you're looking for a swoon-worthy, intriguing, dramatic story to pick up, then I definitely recommend adding this one to your TBR! 

And if you want to read my review of the first book in the series, AMERICAN ROYALS, click here!




1 comment

Please note that if your comment doesn’t appear right away, it’s because we have to approve it. Make sure to click the Notify Me box so you can check back once your comment has been approved! ❤️