ARC Review: We'll Never Be Apart by Emiko Jean

Title: We'll Never Be Apart
Author: Emiko Jean
Genre: Contemporary, Thriller, Mystery 
Source: NetGalley / Edelweiss 
Publisher: HMH Books for Young Readers
Publication Date: October 6th 2015
Add it to Goodreads / Pre-Order it on Amazon 

Summary: 
Murder. Fire. Revenge. That’s all seventeen-year-old Alice Monroe thinks about. Committed to a mental ward at Savage Isle, Alice is haunted by memories of the fire that killed her boyfriend, Jason. A blaze her twin sister Cellie set. But when Chase, a mysterious, charismatic patient, agrees to help her seek vengeance, Alice begins to rethink everything. Writing out the story of her troubled past in a journal, she must confront hidden truths.Is the one person she trusts only telling her half the story?

Review:  


We'll Never Be Apart is such a me book. I love psychological thrillers and We'll Never Be Apart didn't let me down. Besides the fact I predicted the outcome of the book in the first few pages, I was still shocked about how everything was executed. 

Alice and Cellie have been in and out of mental hospitals, foster homes, and halfway houses most of their lives. There was always one constant though: Jason. Jason helped Alice escape Savage Isle before, and they hid away in a barn. When that barn caught on fire and Jason died, Alice was sent back to the very place she was trying to escape. Convinced the the fire and Jason's death is all her twin sister Cellie's fault Alice starts to plot her revenge. With the help of Chase, a boy who is said to be committed for murder Alice learns the real horrifying truth about her past. 

Now, as I said before I predicted this book from the very start. So as I read I was shaking my head at Alice's foolishness in some aspects. But overall I did like her as a character. At first she is very reluctant in her treatment, she is hurt (both physically and emotionally) and mourning the death of Jason. The boy she was in love with. As the story goes one the reader sees Alice begin to realize that her memory isn't all the reliable and not everything was as black and white as it seemed. What if Jason was just as bad as Cellie? As Alice answers these questions she grows as a character, and begins to accept the help that she needs. 

The romance is where I took a star off. I liked Chase's character, and I feel for his backstory. No one should have to go through what he did. But, I felt the romance was a little rushed. Maybe I missed something, but Alice wasn't in Savage Isle all that long before the "butterflies" and other things started along with her attraction to him. Especially since she was so in love with Jason, who just died. Alice moved on kind of fast. But that could also go back to the things she learned. 

Overall I enjoyed We'll Never Be Apart. It was a head trip and though I caught on to what was happening pretty early on it still shocked me. Especially the epilogue! I probably looked liked a fish out of water trying to comprehend what happened. 


Rating:



1 comment

  1. So glad to hear that even if you guessed the outcome the book still managed to surprise you, Amber! I have an eARC of this one and I'm happy to hear you liked it so much!
    I'll prepare myself for the "rushed" romance!
    Great review!

    ReplyDelete

Please note that if your comment doesn’t appear right away, it’s because we have to approve it. Make sure to click the Notify Me box so you can check back once your comment has been approved! ❤️