Things Never Really Mentioned in YA Novels

*This post MAY be a little squeamish. Maybe not. Periods are talked about* 




Today's post was sparked when I sent Jessica this text message: 


(Yes, I texted her at 6:54 in the morning about this) 


I got thinking on this. This something that I have never seen mentioned in a book (Other then Breaking Dawn) Seriously, us girls aren't some magically hairless unicorns. We don't magically have smooth legs or under arms. (Though that would be awesome!)  So, I guess the point I am making is what other things like this are never mentioned in YA books? (I've read over 400 books and they've been mentioned only a handful of times) As a teenage girl my concerns are when can I get my eyebrows/mustache waxed, why is my bra so uncomfortable, when am I going to stop reading and shave my legs and I am sure that won't change when I am an adult. 



I know when you are busy trying to win the Hunger Games, save the world, run from the bad guys those are the last things from their minds. But what about periods? That is biological and just because you are saving the world it doesn't mean it's going to not happen. And girls know that mother nature has the best timing *insert sarcasm* Just like in real life, don't they suffer from PMS, terrible cramps and the terrifying feeling that they are dying? Do they just stick a tampon in their boot like a dagger or their bra and hope for the best? SERIOUSLY. How do they deal? Most girls are terrified to even move when they have their periods. It is never talked about, and its a regular bodily function just like breathing. 



Back to the shaving thing, we follow a character for lets say 6 weeks. She is on the run from the bad guys in a post apocalyptic world with an incredibly hot guy. They stay in abandoned houses, factories, maybe in the woods. Then one day they decide, that's it they are going to have some sexy time. YAY! But wait, when they are tangled together are the girl's legs smooth? Prickly? Gorilla-ish? WE NEVER REALLY KNOW! In my head I always pictured this girl with smooth legs and waxed eyebrows but in the end of the world who would have time for that? 

I am sure I am not the only one who wondered this. (*Crosses fingers that this post doesn't make me seem stupid*) Because when I made a twitter poll this is the discussion post you said I should post this one first! 


So what are things you noticed that are never mentioned in books? How do you think they are dealt with? What are your opinions over all?

16 comments

  1. YESS TO THIS POST! No one ever seems to acknowledge periods in YA books, especially fantasty/paranormal/dystopian stories where there might be limited resources. How do they deal? We can all barely deal in modern times - what about during The Hunger Games? Or on the run during a zombie apocalypse? The only book that I've read that purposely talks about periods is Fire (Kristin Cashore) and it's actually an important point - these monster-creatures are attracted to the protagonist by the smell of her blood... which intensifies (obviously) during her period. She has to have extra guards and stuff during 'that time' - it's actually kind of fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Especially how much sex some YA includes, maybe even a missed period (I think a JLA books has a scare like that) I get it takes away from the plot sometimes, but we are all human. Fantasy. Sci-fi. Ect. That book came up while I was doing some research, it is an interesting idea. I am going to check it out sometime.

      Delete
  2. The period thing is something I really respect about SJ Maas' books as well as Tamora Pierce! They make sure it comes up! Periods can put so many dampeners on your romantic plans ... and on taking over the world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SJM is the only book I seen in mentioned in really. It is really something that is important, and I can see it cane take away from the plot. But hey, they are still human! (or Fae)

      Delete
  3. I wondered the exact same thing before, mostly about periods. :) And sometimes about bras too, and underwear. Sure if you're running from zombies maybe you won't need a fresh change of underwear every day but after a week I'm sure you'd be happy for that!


    Majanka @ I Heart Reading

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BRAS. Those are so freaking annoying. You have a very good point!

      Delete
  4. In books and movies regular things are often skipped. Maybe because they are afraid it will take away from the story. Would be fun though reading about a girl on her period trying to save the world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get that, but people are human. It happens. Even if you are saving the world!

      Delete
  5. Ha, I wrote a post about all the things left out in YA dystopias/fantasies - the hygiene thing is a big issue for me! Sexy-times after not washing for X days/weeks? What about body odour? And do you have a magical, never-ending stash of toilet paper somewhere?

    These are things that really bother me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah, the thing about periods really bother me... Mine are not utterly horrid but I still prefer when I don't have to go to work on the first two days and I can spend them at home reading!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is actually really interesting and something I try not to think about too hard. I just think that sometimes sticking those details into a book is often unnecessary and can stick out in a bad way. It's definitely one of those things I choose to ignore when I'm reading or watching TV. I think we're just supposed to assume that they more-or-less do the best they can. However, I've found that things like periods and shaving and whatnot are more prevalent in contemporary novels, mostly because those things are a big deal in a girl's coming of age, so they're dealt with more when trying to talk about how much a girl is growing up mentally and physically. I don't know if any of this comment made sense. I'm having trouble getting my opinions on this topic wrangled into a cohesive statement. Hahah sorry if what I said doesn't make sense!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my, too funny! I guess I always figured if they were fighting for their lives, scavenging for food, or had to ration water that shaving was the last thing on their list. I don't think they mention brushing teeth to often either. Ha ha. Boogers, not even with boys, and snoring. Clipping their toenails and heat rashes. A hero with a heat rash could be the next big thing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This really bothered me when I read Twilight. Because REALLY, how did that even work?! I also wondered about Divergent.....Tris just must be too bad to have a period.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my gosh, I was just thinking about writing a post similar to this! I agree that, although authors aim to be "realistic," they often lack the simplest things. The only book that mentioned a girl having her period was, surprisingly, a fantasy-- Throne of Glass. I think I even noted that in the review.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree with Lefty Book Lover, that some of these things are often left out because they can take away from the book. Hairy legs may bother some people and those same people may think it is disgusting and the furthest thing from sexy, but not all parts of the world think hairy legs AND pits are nasty. In a post-apocalyptic world, the norms could change and be more accepting of hairy women.

    One thing I noticed is nobody ever suffers from toothaches, which I find impossible in any time period because those wisdom teeth are no joke. It seems like everyone has perfect teeth too. The lead character never gets any food stuck in their teeth and nobody, except for maybe the fat sloth of a bad guy, suffers from bad breath.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I never even thought about this, but you are SO right. Everyone is #flawless every day of the week, and it just doesn't make sense! This was a really good post, and I appreciate it. :D Keep flying, pretty unicorn.

    ReplyDelete

Please note that if your comment doesn’t appear right away, it’s because we have to approve it. Make sure to click the Notify Me box so you can check back once your comment has been approved! ❤️