ARC Review: The Power by Jennifer L. Armentrout {+Playlist}

Title: The Power (Titan #2) 
Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout
Genre: New Adult, Paranormal, Mythology
Source: Inkslinger PR 

Publisher: Spencer Hill Press
Publication Date: February 23rd 2016

Summary: 
With any great change, there is always strife, and the Covenant University has become the frontline between pure-bloods who want the Breed Order reinstated and the half-bloods who want the right to control their own destinies. Fate has other plans. The violence is escalating and war between the races seems inevitable, and it couldn’t come at a worse time. Hyperion may be out of commission, but Josie and Seth know they have only earned a reprieve. Seth must get Josie fully prepared, which means controlling her newfound abilities, and they need to find the other demigods before the Titans do. But the gods are sensing a greater threat. Only one thing is more dangerous than a bunch of starved Titans, and that’s an out-of-control Apollyon. The aether in Josie is drawing Seth in deeper, and when lust mixes with love and gives way to power, he knows being close to her is not only dangerous to her, but to everyone around them, but letting her go requires a level of selflessness that just isn’t Seth’s style. The paths taken in the past are becoming the roads of the future. Just as chaos breaks out, familiar faces from the past return, complicating the already strained bond between Josie and Seth, and when the danger from the Titans erupts with devastating consequences, the dark allure of power calls to Seth again, but this time Josie might not be able to pull him back. And when the struggle between power and love becomes the deadliest battleground, there may be no salvation.
***There are a few MINOR spoilers in this review***


Um. Wow. I really don't know where to start. I have never written a review when my emotions where this high. I've read a lot of Jennifer L. Armentrout books at this point, but none of them have left me feeling as hollow (Maybe? I don't know how I am feeling) as The Power did. I think I am just frustrated to know that I have to wait for the next book to know how this is all going to play out. But like I said. Wow. The Power was packed full of action, humor,  heart break and a fragile romance leaving her readers craving more after the last page. 

I had to impression this book was going to focus solely focus on Josie and Seth's search for the Titans, but it wasn't. Remember at the end of the last book in the Covenant series they abolished the breeding order? Giving halfs and pures the same status? Well that backfired. Big time. Now the half and the pures are pretty much killing each other. So besides Josie and Seth's original problem this one pops up in the background. Josie is focusing on her powers, training on how to use and control them, but there is also the fragile new relationship between her and Seth that is still blooming. But Apollo (with his great timing) tells them that they need to find the three remaining demigods (that are living on earth unaware of what they are) in order to defeat the Titans, with the help a very annoying and self absorbed Hercules. 

I love Josie, and I think I like her more then Alex. She is shy, but assertive and bold when she needs to be. She is still new to everything in this world. For twenty years she was raised believed to be mortal. Not the daughter of Apollo. But Josie is holding her own considering. There were so many points in the first half of the book that I wanted to give Josie a hug and promise her that everything was going to be okay. She is like a puppy. But she also grows a lot as a character in this book. (I talked about it more below) 

I will always love Seth but he killed me heart in this book. We all learned about his life through out the Covenant novels and The Return and it wasn't loving at all. Everything with Josie is new to him, the feelings, the waiting. All of it. Especially how he wants to protect her from everything. Seth thinks of himself so lowly, he thinks he doesn't deserve happiness or Josie. He can't accept that he has made mistakes and move past them. He thinks that they are still held against him. But his powers and hunger for aether (That Josie is full of) also get in the way of a lot of things complicating Seth's character a lot more. 

For a bit in the middle of this book both me and Josie were heart broken. Seth tried to be a better person after an unfortunate incident and leaves Josie. But he just can't let her go and neither can Josie. This book is steamy. A lot more so then I originally expected it to be. In The Power Seth and Josie have taken their relationship further. I feel like they were doing it every chance they got, but that just what I think. I could be wrong. But like all other good things magic and the aether complicates it all. Overall, the romance in this book broke, mended and the broke my heart AGAIN. 

Alex and Aiden also return in the book! Which was exciting because I wasn't expecting that. We also get some Josie and Alex interaction which seems strange but I loved seeing the girl of Seth's past and the one of his future together. I feel like the plot picked up when Alex and Aiden returned. The first half of the book focused on Josie's training and her relationship with Seth. The second half focuses more on the demigods and the Titans. Which wasn't necessarily a bad thing. Too much at once can be confusing. Armentrout also introduces us to a new character named Hercules. Yes, that Hercules (When you read the book you will realize why I italicized that) Every character was in agreement that Herc was a self absorbed, full of himself, cocky asshole. He was! But he was such a funny character to have thrown into an already interesting cast of characters.  

We aren't going to talk about the ending because I won't accept it until I have book 3 in my hands. Armentrout just managed to shatter my heart into a million pieces (again.) But in the last scene of the book is my favorite, Josie is so fierce and pushing for what she wants. It's the character development that I was hoping to get from her in The Return



(4.5 stars)


Playlist:

When I make a playlist it isn't always songs that describes the books, it is also ones that remind me of it too. So this playlist is a mix of both, but Hands to Myself is definitely a song that describes the book ;) 






2 comments

  1. Can't wait to read this book! Jen is one of my favorite authors and I love Seth! ♥
    Oh and I loved the playlist! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dead Island Survivors Hack - Unlimited Cash and Gems for you device iOS and Android.

    ReplyDelete

Please note that if your comment doesn’t appear right away, it’s because we have to approve it. Make sure to click the Notify Me box so you can check back once your comment has been approved! ❤️