DNF Reviews: Twice Dead by Caitlin Seal & The Evolution of Jack Frost by K.M. Robinson

Title: The Revolution of Jack Frost
Author: K.M. Robinson
Genre: Science Fiction 
Source: NetGalley
Publisher: Bleeding Ink Publishing
Publication Date: November 6th 2018

Summary: 
No one inside the snow globe knows that Morozoko Industries is controlling their weather, testing them to form a stronger race that can survive the fall out from the bombs being dropped in the outside world—all they know is that they must survive the harsh Winter that lasts a month and use the few days of Spring, Summer, and Fall to gather enough supplies to survive. When the seasons start shifting, Genesis and her boyfriend, Jack, know something is going on. As their team begins to find technology that they don’t have access to inside their snow globe of a world, it begins to look more and more like one of their own is working against them. Genesis soon discovers Morozoko Industries is to blame, but when a foreign enemy tries to destroy their weather program to make sure their destructive life-altering bombs succeed in destroying the outside world, their only chance is to shut down the machine that is spinning out of control and save the lives of everyone inside the bunker--at any cost.

When I first saw the cover and synopsis for this book I really excited. This book seemed to have everything I was going to love in. But to put it simply: It fell flat. I had extremely hard time getting into the book and there were too many characters for me to keep up with. A lot is thrown at you at once and it was quite disorienting. Genesis wasn't well fleshed out and I felt like her only purpose was the fact she was Jack's girlfriend. 

All in all this isn't one I am going to be recommending but this may be someone else's cup of tea. Sadly, it wasn't mine. 

~~~


Title: Twice Dead
(The Necromancer's Song #1)
Author: Caitlin Seal
Genre: Fantasy 
Source: Edelweiss
Publisher: Charlesbridge Teen 
Publication Date: September 18th 2018
Summary:
Naya, the daughter of a sea merchant captain, nervously undertakes her first solo trading mission in the necromancer-friendly country bordering her homeland of Talmir. Unfortunately, she never even makes it to the meeting. She's struck down in the streets of Ceramor. Murdered. But death is not the end for Naya. She awakens to realize she's become an abomination--a wraith, a ghostly creature bound by runes to the bones of her former corpse. She's been resurrected in order to become a spy for her country. Reluctantly, she assumes the face and persona of a servant girl named Blue. She never intended to become embroiled in political plots, kidnapping, and murder. Or to fall in love with the young man and former necromancer she is destined to betray.  

The idea behind Twice Dead is really cool and something I haven't seen done before so I was super excited for it. Plus, the cover is absolutely stunning and I am a sucker for pretty covers. My two biggest problems was that I hard a hard time connecting with Naya and I was super bored. There was nothing that had me: "Wow, I need to keep on reading to know what is going to happen next." I also felt there was a huge information drop at the beginning that was a little rough to get through, plus there were several things mentioned that weren't all too clarified. 

Sadly Twice Dead wasn't what I hoped it was going to be. I mainly DNFed it because there was nothing urging me to read this book, I was really bored. 



Have you guys read these books? Did you like them? Dislike them? Let me know your thoughts!! 


1 comment

  1. I DNF'd Twice Dead too. The story sounded so good but it was just so drawn out and it seemed like too many words and not enough story.

    ReplyDelete

Please note that if your comment doesn’t appear right away, it’s because we have to approve it. Make sure to click the Notify Me box so you can check back once your comment has been approved! ❤️