The College Diaries: Surprise! More School!

Happy Dance GIF by FIU

Hi everyone, Jessica here! I know it's been a little while since there's been a college diaries update from me -- as a matter of fact, I think the last post I put up about this was talking about how sad I was that I wasn't getting a proper college graduation due to the pandemic. But I'm here with some slightly different (and very exciting, in my opinion!) news today...

I decided to go to graduate school to get my MFA! 

I'd been on the fence about graduate school or no graduate school all during my senior year of undergrad, with my biggest concern being the fact that while I absolutely wanted an MFA in Creative Writing (so I could be a teacher or professor down the line if I so choose!), I didn't want to wait two more years to start my career. So when I realized that a lot of the programs I'd been looking into all involved me going to classes in-person full-time, I shied away from the idea of graduate school because as much as I wanted my education, I didn't want to put myself further back in terms of waiting to start my career. (And to be entirely clear -- there is NOTHING wrong with anyone who chooses to make that decision for themselves! It just wasn't what felt right for me at the time.)

But then I noticed some of my Book Twitter friends all graduating from online Creative Writing MFAs where they got to focus on YA Literature, and it seemed like a dream come true. After talking to them and poking around for a little bit, I discovered that the program that a lot of them were enrolled in at SNHU was the program that I'd already been researching, and it just seemed like a perfect fit for me.

And now, voila -- I am the newest SNHU graduate student! What I love about this program is that it's all asynchronous, which means I can finish my assignments and projects on my own time instead of being chained to having to show up to classes in person (or through Zoom) at specific times of the day. This way, I'm able to get my MFA in two years while still being able to work full-time. It's a win-win for me and I'm super excited to get started next month! You guys have NO idea how hard it was to keep this whole thing under wraps until I officially got accepted. But now I can shout it from the rooftops and update you all on this next phase of my life! Which is pretty wild to think about, since most of you have been around since OUR FRESHMAN YEAR OF HIGH SCHOOL when we started this blog. Now we didn't only graduate high school AND college, but now I'm starting graduate school! It's so weird how quickly time flies when you're doing what you love.

So that's all I've got as far as updates for you all today -- but you can definitely expect more from all of us soon, since this month is when Amber starts going back to school for undergrad, Emily's nursing school program kicks back up, and I am starting my graduate school classes! I was a bit worried about juggling everything in addition to blogging, but I did it for four years of college already, so what's a little more?! 

Now, if you'll excuse me...a new school year means it's obviously time to buy a new planner and some new notebooks, of course!

finding nemo school GIF


No comments

Please note that if your comment doesn’t appear right away, it’s because we have to approve it. Make sure to click the Notify Me box so you can check back once your comment has been approved! ❤️