ARC Review: Everything, Everything by Nicola Yoon (Amber's Review)

Title: Everything, Everything
Author: Nicola Yoon
Genre: Contemporary, Romance 
Source: NetGalley, BookCon 
Publisher: Delacorte Books for Young Readers
Publication Date: September 1st 2015
Add it to Goodreads / Pre-Order is on Amazon
Read Jessica's Review!

Summary: 
My disease is as rare as it is famous. Basically, I’m allergic to the world. I don’t leave my house, have not left my house in seventeen years. The only people I ever see are my mom and my nurse, Carla. But then one day, a moving truck arrives next door. I look out my window, and I see him. He’s tall, lean and wearing all black—black T-shirt, black jeans, black sneakers, and a black knit cap that covers his hair completely. He catches me looking and stares at me. I stare right back. His name is Olly. Maybe we can’t predict the future, but we can predict some things. For example, I am certainly going to fall in love with Olly. It’s almost certainly going to be a disaster. This innovative, heartfelt debut novel tells the story of a girl who’s literally allergic to the outside world. When a new family moves in next door, she begins a complicated romance that challenges everything she’s ever known. The narrative unfolds via vignettes, diary entries, texts, charts, lists, illustrations, and more.

Review:  


My friend got a copy of this book at BookCon with me and read it before me. When I saw her the morning she finished it she immediately pushed for me to read it next. Promising me it was something I would love. She was right. Everything, Everything is beautiful. That is all I can say. It is a story about growing up, falling in love and not letting a sickness define who you are. 

Madeline is eieghteen years old and suffers from the rare immunie disorder  STID. She always lived a comfortable existence with her mom and nurse Carla. In her free time  she reads, watches TV, runs a book blog and attends school via Skype. That is until a new family moves in next door. After that everything is about to change. She is certain she is going to fall in love with Olly, and pretty sure it is going to be a disaster. But she is sick of loosing out because of her sickness and it is time to live. 

*Tons of flailing happened during this book*

I loved how this book was written, the chapters were short and sweet, the drawings, IMs, and E-mails. It gave Everything, Everything an nontraditional feel that I really enjoyed. IMs were my favorite part though, it was their main method of communication since Madeline was confined to her house. As a reader you were able to see several different versions of Olly through the IMs and e-mails. 

Now, this book was predictable. Every twist and turn I saw coming. BUT it was executed pretty well. The plot never dragged and it kept moving, and though I predicted a lot of what was going to happen I still kept turning to pages because I needed more. It wasn't until the very end did I see the biggest plot twist to start to take form, and event though I suspected it, it was still a big "ah-ha!" moment. I will be looking out for more by Nicola soon, I am how ever hung over from the fabulousness of this book! 

Rating: 


7 comments

  1. I have been debating whether to read this book when it comes out for a while now... the cover is absolutely stunning, yet I'm not really a fan of books like this (about illness - TFIOS, Finding Audrey, All the Bright Places, etc.). I think you've convinced me to give it a go now! What do you think? Is it a book for everyone, or just fans of the genre? Great review! :)

    ~Denise @ Confessions of a Book Addict
    confessions-of-a-book-addict.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAY! I think this is a book for everyone. Yes, it covers an illness but there is more to it then just that. I can't wait to see your thoughts on it! <3

      Delete
  2. This book was GORGEOUS! I finished it the day before yesterday and I'm still in the middle of a massive book hangover.

    Now the twist, I didn't see coming. But I seem to be in the minority on that. I seem to be the only person who didn't see that coming.

    So glad you loved it! My review will be up on Monday :)

    -Alexia @ Adventures in Reading
    https://adventuresinreading16.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am typically like that but going in my friend spoiled it a little bit for me. I'll be sure to stop by and see it then!

      Delete
  3. Great review! I finished this book recently and really loved it. The emails and IMs definitely gave this book a bit more insight on Maddy and Oliver's story. Instead of just describing the messages we actually got to see them and I can tell they were really fun to write. This book was a great and surprising read and I am glad you enjoyed it! :)

    ~Kaitlin @ Next Page Please!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kaitlin! It was so cute and adorable. I had such a major book hangover after. The messages were awesome, I love when books include that. :)

      Delete
  4. This book was perfection!! I loved it soo much!! Like you said, the drawings, emails, conversations, just everything was great!! I really enjoyed this book and the storyline was so unique that it just really hit home to me. I really wished the book didn't end the way it did though, can I get one or two more chapters or at least an epilogue please?! :)

    ReplyDelete

Please note that if your comment doesn’t appear right away, it’s because we have to approve it. Make sure to click the Notify Me box so you can check back once your comment has been approved! ❤️