Review: Allegiant (Divergent, #3) by Veronica Roth


Title: Allegiant (Divergent, #3)
Author: Veronica Roth
Rating: ★★★★★ (5/5 Stars)
Hardcover, 526 Pages
Published October 2013
Book #3 of 3 in the Divergent Trilogy

Read my review of:
Divergent (Divergent, #1)
Insurgent (Divergent, #2)

Summary: The faction-based society that Tris Prior once believed in is shattered--fractured by violence and power struggles and scarred by loss and betrayal. So when offered a chance to explore the world past the limits she’s known, Tris is ready. Perhaps beyond the fence, she and Tobias will find a simple new life together, free from complicated lies, tangled loyalties, and painful memories. But Tris’s new reality is even more alarming than the one she left behind. Old discoveries are quickly rendered meaningless. Explosive new truths change the hearts of those she loves. And once again, Tris must battle to comprehend the complexities of human nature--and of herself--while facing impossible choices about courage, allegiance, sacrifice, and love. 

My heart. My heart is burning and melting and shattering into a million pieces and OH MY GOD VERONICA ROTH TOTALLY SCREWED MY FEELS OVER, BIG TIME. She definitely took the road less traveled with this one, and my heart...it hurts.

**WARNING:** Please do not read anything in between the red stars () unless you have finished reading Allegiant. Paragraphs in between the red stars contain spoilers!

As much as it truly breaks my heart,Veronica Roth is a literally genius for that plot twist. I'm going to be completely honest (and also go out on a limb and assume you all do the same thing) and say that normally when I'm reading an intense, suspenseful book with lots of danger, I may be on the edge of my seat to see what happens, but I'm more or less positive that the main character will live because, well, duh, it's the main character. I'm not talking about supporting characters--I'm talking about the absolute main character; the character that the whole story revolves around. They can't just die, because then what will become of the story?

Wrong. Veronica Roth put my theory to absolute shame.   

I'll admit, this book had been spoiled by me prior to me reading it (*glares at Amber and also at the evil internet trolls*), so I knew about the upcoming spoiler (including what chapter it took place in), but I didn't know much more than that. All I'll say to keep the story light and spoiler-free is that Roth totally rocked the scene and ripped my feels to absolute shreds. I have no words other than oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god. If you started the Divergent trilogy and wasn't keen on finishing, I would correct that mistake right now and keep reading because the last book is a totally satisfying conclusion. Kinda.

All in all, I thoroughly enjoyed Allegiant and felt that as feel-shredding as it was, Veronica Roth did an excellent conclusion to the trilogy that took the nation by storm. Well done, and I'm ready to open my copy of Four and read the whole thing again from his perspective! 


No comments

Please note that if your comment doesn’t appear right away, it’s because we have to approve it. Make sure to click the Notify Me box so you can check back once your comment has been approved! ❤️