ARC Review: Scratch by Rhonda Helms

Title: Scratch
Author: Rhonda Helms
Genre: New Adult, Contemporary, Romance
Source: NetGalley
Publisher: Kensington
Publication Date: September 30th, 2014
Add to Goodreads / Pre-order on Amazon

Summary: 
The most painful scars are the ones you never see.  
In her DJ booth at a Cleveland dance club, Casey feels a sense of connection that's the closest she ever gets to normal. On her college campus, she's reserved, practical-all too aware of the disaster that can result when you trust the wrong person. But inexplicably, Daniel refuses to pay attention to the walls she's put up. Like Casey, he's a senior. In every other way, he's her opposite.  
Sexy, open, effortlessly charming, Daniel is willing to take chances and show his feelings. For some reason Casey can't fathom, he's intent on drawing her out of her bubble and back into a world that's messy and unpredictable. He doesn't know about the deep scars that pucker her stomach - or the deeper secret behind them. Since the violent night when everything changed, Casey has never let anyone get close enough to hurt her again. Now, she might be tempted to try.

~~~


The whole idea of Scratch caught my attention, the cover as well. Though I enjoyed Scratch, it wasn't as attention grabbing as I was hoping it would be. The story was good but I just missed the connection I typically get when I read a romance novel. 

I liked Casey, her story was tragic, she has an awesome job, she was an all around an interesting character. She reminded me of myself a lot, she kept to herself, preferred to stay home then party, didn't let people in easily. Her story touched me, it was heartbreaking. But as much as I liked her she easily frustrated me. People wanted to her friends and wanted to know her but she pushed them away and it was very frustrating. I had mixed feelings about Daniel. I liked him and then I didn't. He pushed Casey to tell him her story, and even when she did it wasn't enough for him. But then this is where my feelings for Casey were mixed because I wanted her to tell him, but not when she was angry and upset with him. I felt Casey and Daniel both didn't communicate well and took drastic actions on things. 

My one major problem I had with this book was the transitions were confusing. One paragraph they would be doing one thing and the next paragraph would be days later. I confused me a lot because I would loose thought on what was supposing to be happening. 

Though I didn't get the connection I was hoping, I did enjoy Scratch.
RATING: ★★★





No comments

Please note that if your comment doesn’t appear right away, it’s because we have to approve it. Make sure to click the Notify Me box so you can check back once your comment has been approved! ❤️