ARC Reviews: 99 Days by Katie Cotugno & Finding Paris by Joy Preble

Title: 99 Days
Author: Katie Cotugno
Genre: Contempoary Romance 
Number of Pages: 384
Source: Edelweiss 
Publisher: Balzer + Bray
Publication Date: April 21st, 2015

Summary: 
Day 1: Julia Donnelly eggs my house my first night back in Star Lake, and that’s how I know everyone still remembers everything—how I destroyed my relationship with Patrick the night everything happened with his brother, Gabe. How I wrecked their whole family. Now I’m serving out my summer like a jail sentence: Just ninety-nine days till I can leave for college, and be done. Day 4: A nasty note on my windshield makes it clear Julia isn’t finished. I’m expecting a fight when someone taps me on the shoulder, but it’s just Gabe, home from college and actually happy to see me. “For what it’s worth, Molly Barlow,” he says, “I’m really glad you’re back.” Day 12: Gabe got me to come to this party, and I’m actually having fun. I think he’s about to kiss me—and that’s when I see Patrick. My Patrick, who’s supposed to be clear across the country. My Patrick, who’s never going to forgive me.

This book is something that will be either hit or miss for people. For me it was just bleh. I wasn't a fan. The cheating aspect wasn't what bothered me the most, it was the fact that Molly couldn't make up her damn mind. I understand that this a book where she doesn't understand what she wants but she already damaged this family, she is just playing with fire...again. I wasn't a fan of Molly, she was frustrating and wanted what she wanted. I felt like her originial reasoning behind doing what she did was: 


Nevermind the fact it was her ex/boyfriend's brother. I did however enjoyed how the story was told in 99 Days. Each chapter being one day. Over all the writing wasn't bad, it was just the characters. Gabe and Patrick pissed me off just as much as Molly. This one wasn't for me. 

Rating:





Title: Finding Paris
Author: Joy Preble
Genre: Mystery 
Number of Pages: 272 
Source: Edelweiss
Publisher: Balzer + Bray 
Publication Date: April 21st, 2015 

Summary: 
Sisters Leo and Paris Hollings have only ever had each other to rely on. They can’t trust their mother, who hops from city to city and from guy to guy, or their gambler stepfather, who’s moved them all to Las Vegas. It’s just the two of them: Paris, who’s always been the dreamer, and Leo, who has a real future in mind—going to Stanford, becoming a doctor, falling in love. But Leo isn’t going anywhere yet… until Paris ditches her at the Heartbreak Hotel Diner, where moments before they had been talking with physics student Max Sullivan. Outside, Leo finds a cryptic note from Paris—a clue. Is it some kind of game? Where is Paris, and why has she disappeared? When Leo reluctantly accepts Max’s offer of help, the two find themselves following a string of clues through Vegas and beyond. But the search for the truth is a not a straight line. And neither is the path to secrets Leo and Max hold tightly.

This book ended on a serious subject matter that wasn't explored with in the novel at all. Never mind the fact that nothing through out this book makes you think this (Not until ten pages before. At that point it wasn't a shock anymore) Though it made the story turn in a new direction it left a bad taste in my mouth. The writing was amazing and the plot had a lot of potential but fell short. I felt like there were chunks of information that where vital to the story were missing or skimmed over. Max only made breif sense through out the whole novel and it isn't until you are close to the end does anything involving him actually add up. It was all really frustrating. Sigh, I was really excited for this one too. 

Rating: 




4 comments

  1. I'm not usually a big fan of contemporaries and it seems like these books won't make it into my limited list of contemporary reads.
    Thank you for the very honest reviews Amber!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read 99 days & I gave it one star :/ I just didn't like the whole cheating & running back and forth between the two BROTHERS. It's one thing to cheat and realize your mistake, but Molly is the most confusing person I have ever read about, the book gave me a headache - although, like you I did like that the 99 days concept into chapters was pretty original. Love the honest reviews <3 Benish | Feminist Reflections

    ReplyDelete
  3. nice honest review; not a fan of cheating or triangles between brothers

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was really looking forward to reading these two, thanks for the honest review.

    ReplyDelete

Please note that if your comment doesn’t appear right away, it’s because we have to approve it. Make sure to click the Notify Me box so you can check back once your comment has been approved! ❤️