Review: Gravity by Melissa West

Title: Gravity (The Taking #1)
Author: Melissa West
Genre: Science Fiction
Publisher: Entangled Teen
Publication Date: December 18th 2012
Add it to Goodreads / Buy it on Amazon

Summary:
Seventeen-year-old Ari Alexander just broke that rule and saw the last person she expected hovering above her bed — arrogant Jackson Locke, the most popular boy in her school. She expects instant execution or some kind of freak alien punishment, but instead, Jackson issues a challenge: help him, or everyone on Earth will die. Ari knows she should report him, but everything about Jackson makes her question what she’s been taught about his kind. And against her instincts, she’s falling for him. But Ari isn’t just any girl, and Jackson wants more than her attention. She’s a military legacy who’s been trained by her father and exposed to war strategies and societal information no one can know — especially an alien spy, like Jackson. Giving Jackson the information he needs will betray her father and her country, but keeping silent will start a war

Review: 


I am mentally beating myself up for not picking this up sooner. I've always seen it around, but I put it off for the last year. A few weeks ago it was free on Amazon and I knew that was my chance to read it, especially I had a gap between ARCs and I could read something that has been published already. (Which happens rarely) Gravity was addicting, action packed, full of secrets and a swoon worthy guy.

Don’t. Ever. Peek.

"The Taking" is something that every human above the age of ten is obligated to do. The aliens "Take" antibodies from their assigned humans each night to help them to acclimate to earth. The humans give to the aliens through "The Taking" by obligations of the contract with the aliens. But one night Ari looses her patch, leaving no barrier between her eyes and the alien that would soon be arriving to "take" from her. Ari unable to resist the urge, opens her eyes only to be suprised for it to be someone she knows. One problem, the aliens aren't suppose to be on earth, except for "The Taking." 

There is a lot of world building in this novel, which is a good and a bad thing. After too much world building I start to zone out. But the world that Melissa was both interesting and unique. This book leaves you wanting to keep reading into the late hours of the night, so much can happen with in a page that you are constantly left on on the edge of your seat. 

I liked Aria for the most part, and I really liked Jackson. At some parts Jackson did piss me off for the fact he kept hiding things and he wasn't forthcoming with information. The romance was a bit lacking, but the story line and actions makes up for it. I do hope there is a bit more romance in the next book though, I am a bit of a sucker for romance. 

Overall I really enjoyed this one. There are just some books that you love and don't have much to say about? Gravity is that kind of book for me. 

3 comments

  1. Yep, I know exactly what you mean. I read this one a while ago and I enjoyed it too

    Great Review!

    Michelle @ Book Briefs

    ReplyDelete
  2. This one has been on my TBR list for a long time but I've only heard good things about it. I'm also a big romance person so I think the lack of romance would bug me a bit but I still want to read Gravity. I'm glad you liked it and nice review :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I kind of felt that same way about this one, though it was kind of meh for me. But I did enjoy the sequel much more.

    ReplyDelete

Please note that if your comment doesn’t appear right away, it’s because we have to approve it. Make sure to click the Notify Me box so you can check back once your comment has been approved! ❤️