Review: Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo

Title: Shadow and Bone (Grishaverse #1)
Author: Leigh Bardugo
Genre: Fantasy, Romance 
Publisher: Henry Holt and Company
Publication Date: June 5th 2012

Summary: 
Surrounded by enemies, the once-great nation of Ravka has been torn in two by the Shadow Fold, a swath of near impenetrable darkness crawling with monsters who feast on human flesh. Now its fate may rest on the shoulders of one lonely refugee. Alina Starkov has never been good at anything. But when her regiment is attacked on the Fold and her best friend is brutally injured, Alina reveals a dormant power that saves his life—a power that could be the key to setting her war-ravaged country free. Wrenched from everything she knows, Alina is whisked away to the royal court to be trained as a member of the Grisha, the magical elite led by the mysterious Darkling. Yet nothing in this lavish world is what it seems. With darkness looming and an entire kingdom depending on her untamed power, Alina will have to confront the secrets of the Grisha . . . and the secrets of her heart.

“The problem with wanting," he whispered, his mouth trailing along my jaw until it hovered over my lips, "is that it makes us weak.”

I read Shadow and Bone in 2014 and loved it. I read the second book and loved it. Then I accidentally read a spoiler for the third book and I couldn't bring myself to read it. I didn't want to put myself through the emotional turmoil of favorite character death and what not. At BookExpo I was talking with a girl and I told her my concerns and she told me just to read it. That not every story in the Grishaverse is actually truthful. (Maybe the fact that I read Six of Crows first doesn't help...) So here I am four years later diving back into this world. 

I completely forgot how much I loved this world and these characters. I also thought I wasn't going to like the Darkling this time around, but here I am four years older and I think I like him more now then I did when I was sixteen. (I also have a thing for dark/moody guys so it might be that as well.) Though being older I can understand why Alina fell for the Darkling as quickly as she did. She is an orphan, she spent her life living with other orphans to grow up to be recruited into the first army, to watch her best friend and the boy she loves chase after other girls. After feeling like she wasn't wanted for so long, the Darkling's attraction for her made her feel wanted. I think it's natural since I love the Darkling, regardless that he is the villain in this story, that I am not the biggest fan of Mal. I find him kind of whiny. 

I devoured this book in a day. I didn't even realize I finished it until my kindle wouldn't let me swipe anymore. From the first page I was completely immersed into this story and the world. Shadow and Bone is a page turner,  with constant action, witty banter and some romance it offers something for everyone who loves fantasy. 


(4.5 Stars!)

3 comments

  1. I STILL NEED TO READ A BOOK BY LEIGH. I think i'll start here! The fact that you've come BACK to this one and still love it, maybe even more!? That says a LOT! Def adding to my TBR! Also, i totally need to meet this broody Darkling ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have to read this! Having finished the series, it was worth the read. (Even if it did hurt my heart a bit.) I can't wait to hear what you think of the world and The Darkling!

      Delete
    2. I LISTENED TO THE AUDIOBOOK!! Currently waiting for book 2 to come in at the library!

      I SHIP MAL AND ALINA omg. Like the Darkling, totally get is appeal (kinda has an Edward Cullen vibe going on though....broody-100-year-old....lol that's basically it. BAHA!)

      ANYWHO! i need to find out what happens NEXT!

      Delete

Please note that if your comment doesn’t appear right away, it’s because we have to approve it. Make sure to click the Notify Me box so you can check back once your comment has been approved! ❤️