ARC Review: Until Friday Night by Abbi Glines

Title: Until Friday Night (The Field Party #1)
Author: Abbi Glines
Genre: Contemporary, Romance
Source: ARC Sent by Publisher / Edelweiss 
Publisher: Simon Pulse
Publication Date: August 25th 2015
Add it to Goodreads / Pre-order it on Amazon 

Summary: 
To everyone who knows him, West Ashby has always been that guy: the cocky, popular, way-too-handsome-for-his-own-good football god who led Lawton High to the state championships. But while West may be Big Man on Campus on the outside, on the inside he’s battling the grief that comes with watching his father slowly die of cancer. Two years ago, Maggie Carleton’s life fell apart when her father murdered her mother. And after she told the police what happened, she stopped speaking and hasn’t spoken since. Even the move to Lawton, Alabama, couldn’t draw Maggie back out. So she stayed quiet, keeping her sorrow and her fractured heart hidden away. As West’s pain becomes too much to handle, he knows he needs to talk to someone about his father—so in the dark shadows of a post-game party, he opens up to the one girl who he knows won’t tell anyone else. West expected that talking about his dad would bring some relief, or at least a flood of emotions he couldn’t control. But he never expected the quiet new girl to reply, to reveal a pain even deeper than his own—or for them to form a connection so strong that he couldn’t ever let her go…

Review:  


I am not quite sure were to start with this review. Abbi Glines has been one of my go-to authors for a while now and she never fails to disappoint. Abbi's latest YA series is filled with heartbreak, love and family set in the West. 

Two years ago Maggie witnessed the unbelievable. She watched her mother be murdered by her father. Shortly after she stopped talking. Maggie doesn't want to relive the pain of telling her story over and over, and if she doesn't talk no one would ask her. West's father is dying of cancer, he is barley holding it together and he is angry. Both Maggie and West who are harboring painful secrets find their way too each other, and both know how wrong their attraction is but know that they need each other. For West Maggie is someone to trust, who listens to him and doesn't judge. For Maggie it gives her hope. 

Until Friday Night is told in alternating point of views, both equally enjoyable. Maggie is quiet and observant, a quality that enables her to see beneath people's exterior to how they really feel. She easily saw through West, something that not even his football buddies was able to see through. Maggie's silence doesn't discount her kindness towards people, even people who treat her horribly. West? He is literally the opposite of Maggie. He is loud, obnoxious, vulgar, and especially crude towards girls. West used girls as a distraction of pain. Even while he was becoming closer to Maggie, he had a girl he was using by his side. Obviously he was a character I typically wouldn't have liked, but there was just something about him that I had hope for. I loved seeing how he went from a complete asshole, to someone Maggie could rely on. 

I enjoyed the romance, though I wish it wasn't the "Wow, I will never be good enough for her." or "He doesn't want a girl like me." Kind of thing. It also made things complicated when West was fooling around with other girls. Though eventually we get to watch them fall in love, giving something to the other that they need to make it through the days. 

Overall, I really loved Until Friday Night. The only problem is that I am use to Abbi's New Adult novels and expected this one to be steamy. So I was slightly disappointed in that aspect, though it didn't take away from the enjoyment of the story for me. I am really looking forward to the next book in The Field Party series. 

Rating: 






11 comments

  1. This sounds really good. I have never read any books by this author, but I definitely will now. Thanks so much for sharing!

    Cheryl @ I Heart Fictional People

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I've only read her NA books, but they are still worth reading. I hope you enjoy them! <3

      Delete
  2. YASSS, this one sounds amazing, definitely will be checking this one out soon!

    Happy Reading
    Patrick @ The Bookshelves

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait for this! I love Abbi Glines' books soo much! Well, I haven't read all of them but most of them anyway. They have such heartbreaking scenes but I love how she never fails to create the cutest, most romantic happy endings. So excited for this.
    Lovely review. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've only read Sea Breeze so far but I eventually plan on reading her other books too. This book manages to break your heart and then put it back together. Thank you so much!

      Delete
  4. As a huge fan of Abbi's, I'm really excited for Until Friday Night. Like you, I'm used to her new adult stuff so I'm not sure what to expect from thisone. (I haven't read any of her YA since her Vincent Boys duology and even that was upper-YA.) She tells a great story, though. and I'm pretty confident that I'me going to love this latest, too. :)
    girlplusbooks.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She does tell a great story. The story in this one is heart breaking. This was my first YA by her and besides the fact that both MCs are in high school and the sex isn't too graphic it reads much like a NA. I hope you love it when you get the opportunity to read it :)

      Delete
  5. I haven't read any book by Abbi Glines yet (gasps)! I've been meaning to get on that train but I don't really know where to start with her NA books. It makes me happy to find out about this book; I think I'll really enjoy this one as well. Great review!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so glad you enjoyed this one! I read it in one seating pretty much. The thing is I didn't even know it was YA haha I really enjoyed it a lot. Abbi Glines is a great author. Lovely review :)

    ReplyDelete

Please note that if your comment doesn’t appear right away, it’s because we have to approve it. Make sure to click the Notify Me box so you can check back once your comment has been approved! ❤️