Calm down, calm down! Don't beat yourself up! Reading slumps. They will happen to the best of us. We all dread the moment that not getting into a page on one book will turn into not getting into several other books. Slumps will make reading feel like a chore instead of fun. We all faced it at least once or twice by now, with varying degrees of severity. But it isn't the end of the world, and you can break up with your reading slumps. That is until the next one starts creeping around.
How to Break Up With Them:
1. Sleeping: I don't know about you, but typically if I am not reading or at work I will take a nap. Jessica will tell you, she will be trying to contact me for hours and I am just gone. I found though that sometimes after not being able to get into a book it isn't because I am in a slump but more because I am tired.
2. Watch a TV Show: Sometimes you just need a break from reading in general. Just binge watch a TV show for a bit. This is why I have a Netflix subscription (Not really... but I just tell myself this) Some Recommendations: Orange Is The New Black, Orphan Black, Grey's Anatomy
3. Try Reading a Published Book: Sometimes I try to binge review copies so they won't pile up. Most of the time I am successful, other times I can't get into a single one. In these situations a I try reading a book that I already have on my book shelf or can borrow from the library. Popular new releases are also another good route to go!
4. Go Hang Out With Friends: I know every book nerd is guilty of ditching plans so they can finish up a book. But if you are in a slump maybe this is an opportunity to contact people and go socialize. I know after I go out with friends I realize how much energy and effort that took and is able to dive right back into a book and avoid plans again!
5. Relax on Blogging: So, you post 3-4 reviews a week and this week you only posted 2 reviews. You are fine. Sometimes I panic when we only have two reviews set up and I put myself into a slump because I am desperate for something to post. It is no big deal. Maybe instead of a review in that spot try a discussion post!
6. Visit Other Blogs/ Comment Back/ Read Reviews: Take this time do comment back on that over grown list of blogs you been telling yourself you were going to comment back on for weeks. Through other blogs you'll found a book that will spark your interest and that may be the one to help you out of the slump!
7. Read a Short Book: A book over 400 pages tend to intimidate me. Especially if they are review copies. Maybe instead trying reading a book that is under 300 pages. They are quick easy reads that you may end up enjoying!
8. Hang Out on Social Media: My biggest thing while I am in a reading slump is going on Twitter and Instagram. If I get bored enough I will alternate them. Going on social media and chatting with your online friends is a good way to relax and let your mind think about other things beside books.
9. Try Reading Something Recommended to You: As a blogger I am constantly getting books pushed at me. Mostly by Jessica (My co-blogger!) and Rachel from A Perfection Called Books. Sometimes these books are just what you need, when you are in a slump trying to actually pick out a book on your own is a personal type of hell.
10. Take a Break: As a blogger you feel like you have to be reading 24/7. Reading is not an obligation and it is okay to take a break if needed!
Those are the top ten ways I try to deal with slumps. Honestly, they are a bitch when they happen. I won't lie, I find it hard to relax when I know I have dead lines coming up and I can't get into a book. But not enjoying a book and rating it bad or taking a few hours and then trying will make a whole difference in the end.